Need Mixer/Compressor Help

KingNothing

Question for ya.

Right now we have our gear set up like this: Mixer ---> Compressor ---> Computer

Is there anyway to just assign the compressor to compress JUST track 1 on the mixer? I ask because we have it setup so the compressor is compressing the entire drum kit using the same settings, as it compresses it on the way to the tape.

May be a dumb question. Mixer kinda confuses me. I never screw around with anything other than the EQ and the gain. Simplicity is what makes my sound so great....:rolleyes:

2000th Post

You should have the main outs of your mixer going straight to the soundcard....Hopefull your mixer has an effects send/return....hook up your compressor to that....you will then be able to send whatever channels you want thru it.....what mixer do you have?.....I can be more specific once I know what you are working with......

Im late for work......

I usually set my compressor up where I can switch from 2 mono to stereo, I have it so the stereo is routed thru an aux send/return with a reverb unit so I can make tiny changes on a channel by channel bases, then I flip it to mono with the the mono only as an insert when I do something that needs copression added whle laying down the track, if you don't want reverb mixed with the compressor just bypass it. Im not sure what mixer your using so Im taking a stab that it has at least inserts and one aux/return.

Peace,
Dennis

If your mixer has channel inserts, this is exactly what they were designed for. Most are set on a single 1/4" stereo type plug, one side being send and the other being recieve (depending on the manufacturer). You'd need a patch cord with a 1?4" stereo plug on one end that beaks out to two 1/4" mono plugs at the other ends. Insert your compressor there.:D
If your mixer has no channel inserts (like Behringger which I don't care for) all bets are off as you mics have to go to a pre amp before the signal can fed to a compressor, in which case you'd need an external mic pre.

Back