Need Mixdown Feedback!!

ncorea

I posted this a couple of days ago but the songs I posted were realaudio files, and the audio wasn't good enough to check and critique the acual mix. Now I have post 3 in songs in MP3.

Here they are again, only the first three are in MP3 format:
Rawwar and 16 Bizarre

Politics is only a snippet but it is a first pass mix and I would like a little feedback on this one.

Thanks

at first i was thinking it sounded a little "harsh"...

I'm not at my monitors...

but, i think it actually sounds pretty good....the vocals have that "agressive" feel...what mic did you use? good vocals.

I think the reverb you used is fitting.

Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things here....the balance is good, performances are good....(did I hear a "ding-a-ling" in there? heh)

I was thinking maybe you could do a little more with the panning....I find that in a lot of say, Dr. Dres stuff...he uses a lot of panning...sounds going back and forth and stuff...kind of gives it an even more energetic sound.

This is not my style, but it sounds solid. I thought the main hook was catchy and the rapping sounds professional.

Listened to Rawwar,

Smooooooooth schtuff bro! I definitely agree with wes about there needing to be a little more stereo stuff going on, or maybe just put more emphasis on the stuff that is already pannin. Definitely pro flows, tracked good, sound tight all in all. I might be wrong cause I'm listening on some crappy phones, but it needs a little more rumble, I guess I'm not a big fan of the bottom as a whole, the kick or the bass, could really nastify this track with some raunchy rumble. Definitely got some talent happening in your crew for sure. You play out in Beantown, that's where I'm from and could send some headz out if you do. Go Celts!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (You best like them)

Laj

I like it too... I'm also getting that little "harsh" feeling of the sound. I think it should be a bit smoother... It could be the highend that makes it sound a bit "harsh"

Keep it loud and low

Riku

Thank You everybody for you comments and advice. I really apprieciate it.

Wes, I used an AudioTechica 4033 on all the vocals.

The rest of the setup was:

466 PPC Mac G4 w/ 46 gig HD and 896 ram

Digi 001 w/ ProToolsLE (recording and mixing)
Cubase 4.1 (sequenced and arranged rawar and 16 biz)
Reason(sequenced Politics)
Emagic WaveBurner Pro
MasterList CD
MPC 2000 (main drums and sample layout)
Technic 1200's and Vestex PMC 06 pro
AudioTechica 4033
Event PS6 studio Monitors
Tascam CDRW-700 recorder
Tascam DA-40 DAT
Teac 565 CD burner

Rtas plugins: LA-2A, 1176, FairChild Compressor,Pultec Eqp-1a ChannelStrip, McDSP Compressor Bank and Anolgue Channel, Moogerfooger Lowpass filter and Ring Modulator, SansAmp Tech 12 NYC, GRM Tools bandpass, Kind of Loud Real VerbPro, Joemeek Meequalizer

Well in some of the comments I wasn't sure which songs you guys were talking about. And just to let everyone as far the 16 Bizarre song. I was going for a dirty distorted sound. Just in case if anyone was wondering.

Again I do appreciate everyones comments and advise. I hope to post more of my mixes soon.

Thanks, Nelson

Yeah we do

As for me, I'm really just the Producer and Engineer I'm not much of a stage cat.

But yeah my studio is in Brookline, if you ever happen to be in the area.

Peace

Back