Need input, constructing live& recording room

lyrical2

I have a space in my basement 25'x18' aside for live room and recording room. Back and sides of area are concrete, front wall is dividing basemnt. I have 9' from concrete to joist above.

I have read about building 2 walls with 2"-4" space between and 2 layers of drywall w/ staggard seems on inside of room. I plan on building a floating floor as well, keeping a small gap between it and the walls, and then filling the gap with a good caulk.

The other thing I am reading is using panels. Attaching foam to peg board and then haning to wall 2" from wall surface, would I still need to build 2 walls if I use wall pannels?? Does the whole wall need to be treated w/ pannels like this??

Also, would a drop ceiling w/ insulation above keep sound from penetrating floor above??

I appreciate any help and advice. I love this forum and glad I found it.

ty, Brian

thanks for Info: But another ??

Hey I thank you for you help and the web sites are helpful.
About room design. Is it necessairy to angle the wall in the recording room? How much more effective is it?

Brian,

> Attaching foam to peg board and then haning to wall 2" from wall surface, would I still need to build 2 walls if I use wall pannels? <

Panels intended to treat the sound quality within a room have nothing to do with sound isolation between rooms.

Besides the link to my company's Acoustics Facts page (thanks Don), also see the FAQ for my Acoustics forum:

www.recording.org/users/acoustics

> Is it necessairy to angle the wall in the recording room? How much more effective is it? <

Angling the walls is useful because it reduces flutter echo and ringing without requiring a lot of absorption. So you can keep a live sound by not treating all the walls, yet still avoid repetitive echoes. But it's not strictly necessary, and with proper acoustic treatment applied in the right places you can still create a fine sounding home studio.

--Ethan

Thanks Ethan

I understand what you are saying about the isolation.

I do like your website it is quite helpful.

I would like your opinion on my room layout.

I am not sure what would be more beneficial. Having this layout as attached, with a 15'x17' live/recording room on left, and a 5'x5' vocal room on top right, and control room bottom right.

Or going with the same live/recording room on left, a bigger drum/vocal room on top right, a smaller control room on bottom right.

Drum room needed?

thanks
Brian

Attachments

• sound room 2.jpg
    sound room 2.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 144
Re: Thanks Ethan

Brian,

> I would like your opinion on my room layout. <

I intentionally avoid room design questions because I am not qualified to offer an opinion. Others here will give you better answers than I can.

> Drum room needed? <

All I can offer is that one large room is better than two small rooms. My own home studio is one large room, and it sounds much better for both recording and mixing than if I had divided it into separate smaller spaces.

--Ethan

Brian- The obvious problems with your design are that the control room is not symetrical and the live room has too many parallel walls.

Room design

My home design software does not allow me to draw an angled wall other than 30 and 45 degrees, or at least I havent figured out how to yet. I am planning on angling another side wall somewhere around 12 to 20 degrees in the live/recording room and also in the vocal room. That would make it so that there are no parallel walls in those rooms.

I dont think that I can achieve a symetrical design in the controll room and still have enough work space. What do you think?

thanks
Brian

Just cut a symetrical slice out of one of the corners. That will also help with taking away some of the parallel walls in the tracking room. A corner control room isn't ideal but your room will be so small you will need to do a lot of treatment in there anyway.

Back