Need information

mistersinclair

Anyone out there that is willing to teach an old man that has only had a computer a few months how to record and mix music please let me know..

To give you anything but the most general advice we are gonna need some more specifics outlining exactly what you want to do, what your budget is and what gear you have.

But

Generally recording on a computer requires the following

A soundcard - you can usually use the one that came with your computer if all you want is home demo quality.

Recording software - something like N-Track or Cakewalk.

Some speakers - real studio monitors will give you the best results but it is possible to learn to work with consumer or PC speakers if absolutely necessary.

A mixer or mic preamp - if you need to record microphone signals with a reasonable amount of quality (your soundcard's 'mic input' preamps wont cut it), you don't really need one if you are just recording a keyboard and not using any mics.

A decent mic - maybe a Shure sm 57 (plastic computer mics don't cut it)

mistersinclair. Welcome to the forum. I see you are on your second post and it seems like you were cremated on your first. Don't worry, we were all new at one time and the majority of us new nothing about recording also. Before you know it you'll be up and running your recording equipment and helping out the new members.
The best advice I can give you is to read all the different forums here at this site. There are other sites also but this one to me is the best. It may take a few weeks or maybe months before you reap the benefits but it will be well worth it, this is a great hobby and lots of fun.
Vox gave you some good ideas about equipment. Be prudent when you buy it, shop around ask for opinions on specific equipment. Someone here has used just about anything you can find to buy.
Aside from all that there are some great people here that just wanna have fun!(as you have found out) Let me know if I can be any help.

Good Luck!

Sure! There are lots of folks who can help. Its a little bit of a process, though, so it might not go too quickly. Let's start with some basic information that we need to get going.

What kind of computer do you have? What processor? How fast is it? How much memory? How big is the hard drive? What kind of soundcard does it have? Tell us everything you can about your computer.

Also, do you have any microphones or other recording gear already?

Next- what kind of music are you going to be recording? Are you recording instruments and vocals kind of music where you'll be using your computer like a digital tape recorder? Are you using keyboards and recording music electronically? Your goals for recording will help us suggest what tools you'll need and how to set them up.

Take care,
Chris

Back