Need info on Pod Line 6 version 1

bornmad

Could someone tell me if there is a major difference bewteen the Pod Line 6 version 1 and Pod Line 6 version 2.

The reason I am asking is because a Pod version 1 is on ebay for a decent price.

Also, I currently use a Digitech RP100 for my effects (I am a beginnning guitarist) and I wanted to know anyone's opinion on upgrading to the Line 6. I know that the Digitech is considered low end, but will I see a great difference in capabilites and creativity in going for the Pod Line 6?

There are people who seem to swear by the Pod, but others who seem to have used amp setups are not to impressed. Of course, I don't have the money for such a relaistic setup, so I would be interested in your opinion's

I think the POD would be a good choice for you. I'm not sure about the differences between the two versions, but I think you can upgrade to the 2.0 version from Line6, so you might check to see which way would be cheaper. Anyways, I'll let someone who's done that comment about it.

I've never used an RP100, but I've had several Digitech rack effects units, and for direct recording none of them even comes close to comparing with the POD. While the POD isn't as good as a great sounding room full of great tube amps to choose from, it's not near as expensive or tough to setup either, and it's still pretty darn good sounding. I prefer my amp when it comes down to it, but the POD is a great tool and honestly I don't notice that it doesn't sound as good as my amp until I actually compare them side by side. I definitely don't think you would be disapointed with it, and you might even be amazed at how much better it sounds than the RP100.

Do a BBS search for POD and you'll find tons of threads about it. Also, if you want to hear the POD in action by people on the BBS, search the MP3 Mixing Clinic for threads about the POD.

Pod version 1 had access to 16 amp models from the unit and an additional 12 models via SoundDriver software (shipped with the unit) and various cabinet models also via SoundDriver. But, you needed a computer with midi to access the SoundDriver options

Version 2 provides 32 amp models and 16 cabinet options direct from the unit. A computer still gives you much more control and more options, but the unit does do more than version 1 on it's own.

The upgrade from 1 to 2 is something like $60 I think (just replace the chip). I thought version 1 (even without the computer) gave me plenty of options. Do I use the improved options in version 2? Yes. Could I have been satisfied without version 2? Yes.

The rp100 IS a modelling processor, just like POD. I have an rp2000, and I suspect that the rp100 is the same circuitry, just less bells and whistles. It's modelling is at least on par with POD's. I think your rp100 will do just about anything the POD will do, although the POD will be easier to tweak, since more parameters are adjusted with knobs, rather than up/down buttons. I played with my rp2000 for a couple weeks thru headphones, then went and auditioned the POD at a store with the same headphones and my guitar, and I liked the amp sounds of the Digitech better. I thought that the POD was a little thin sounding (using standard strat). You should check out the POD at a store B4 you buy. I have no loyalty to Digitech, but IMHO they are not any more "low end" than the POD.

i like line 6

So far, i'm impressed with line 6 mediums available. I've had a chance to jam on the amps, and was very impressed with the simulations. If you have the space for the table top version, (pod) (even if you don't, make room for it in your set-up) GET ONE.

Back