need help with soundtreatment of my loft

adamangler

Hi. im after some advice on sound treatment of my loft.
The main purpose will be for mixing.

For the floor im going to board it and carpet it.

But the roof at the minute is just bare tiles, i was thinking of filling the rafters with 2" rockwool and then covering it with a hessian like fabric.

Then putting basstraps of 4" rockwool in any corners

does this sound a reasonable plan?

im assuming with roof being basically 2" of rockwool then roof tiles the bass frequencys will pass thru and the higher end be tamed by the rockwool so the room should be fairly free of bass build up?

im just guessing here and would appreciate any advice, is it possible my room will be too dead or lack in bass??
:eek:

thanks adam

ok. thats that sorted then...

so if i leave the floor wood. The roof (and essentially all 4 sides) will all be insulation, still too dead?

Try it and see. No other way really. If it is too dead you could throw some panelling on the walls. Try it before you fill all the rafter spaces as well and maybe do a few at a time. Directly overhead first then move out leaving a few gaps. You may wind up filling them all, maybe not.

Pictures and/or a layout would be helpful for this discussion.

Any general advice will not take into account room-specific issues. Search for and read up on room modes.

Your basic thinking, with Sky Blue Lou's advice about having a hard floor, is on the right lines. If you are putting in traps in the corners, both wall to wall corners and wall to ceiling corners, then that will not mean the entire ceiling and all walls will be entirely covered by rockwool, so some liveliness can or will be retained. You will want to put traps on the walls and ceiling at the primary reflection points, where the sound from the speakers can bounce off the ceiling or a wall and come directly back to you.

Last edited:
Back