Need help with Soundcards

Shawnr33

Hello, I just recently bought a recording program(Cakewalk Guitar Tracks) and a mic(shure sm-57) under the impression that I can record my guitar setup from the mic to a converter box that I thought cakewalk is going to supply. I later found out that I need a sound card to plug my guitar into. I don't have this on my computer. What exactly type of soundcard do I need and are they very expensive? Anything can help. Thank you!

Shawn
appex22@yahoo.com

Sigh...doesn't anyone read up on what they're about to lay out money for anymore?

I've never heard of a modern computer without a sound card. How do you listen to music or even the Windows "dings" without a sound card?

The SM-57 is another story altogether. I suggest you do some research, starting with https://homerecording.com/sound_card_basics.html

[This message has been edited by Dragon (edited 12-07-1999).]

Dragon: I actually did do some research. I looked at numerous reviews that said the shure sm-57 is the best out there. So I got that mic. Then, cakewalk just announced the last week that Guitar Tracks is coming out. The original press realease made me think that the program came with a little converter box that I plug my guitar into. I ordered the program from buy.com then after I ordered it, Cakewalk came out with the full press release saying everything that I didn't want to hear. "Needs a sound card" me not knowing to much about computers I got upset. So here I am wondering if I should return my mic and program. thanks!

Shawn

The 57 is a great microphone for the price and reliability...but I don't think I've heard anyone claim it's the best out there. It'll work great for micing your guitar amp though (it's what I use).

All computer based recording will require a soundcard. There's no way around it. There's no such thing as a "converter" box that would allow you to record on your computer without a soundcard. You might be thinking of a "breakout" box which is a box with (typically) 1/4" plugs that provides a means of plugging instruments into a soundcard...but those aren't available for "regular" cards.

Since you don't know much about computers, you might want to post your computer's specs. Processor, memory, hard drive size/speed, etc, etc. There is a chance that your computer won't work well enough for recording purposes. The reason I say this is that most consumer-level machines have had soundcards as a default option since about 1995....and if your machine is just a few years old then.........

You will need a soundcard but since you're working alone (I'm assuming), it doesn't have to cost much. I get well enough results with a crappy SB16 that was purchased about 5 years ago. The Soundblaster PCI 128 has an ensonique chipset and runs about $30...I've heard good things about this card as a cheap startup.

BUT, you'll also need some kind of powered mixer/preamp to plug that SM57 into. You can't plug a dynamic microphone (or any non-computer microphone) into the microphone jack on the soundcard. UNLESS, you purchase or more expensive soundcard that is built for such a purpose. Now we're talking in the $250+ range.

I don't blame you for feeling like you did your homework. Marketers are pretty slick. "Buy our software and start recording on your PC today!" And then there's the fine print....

I think if you click the "archive" listbox at the bottom of the HomeRecording BBS main page and select "Newbies" there's a long post in there that should shed some light on all of this.

Slackmaster 2000

Slackmaster2K: Thank you so much for the very informative reply. It has helped me a lot and I am very grateful for it. I have checked out what computer specs I needed to run the program and I barely have enough of anything. So, I should be ok. As for my sound card mine happens to be a SB16 too. I am glad you said you got good enough results. I have started looking into mixers for the mic like you said. Plus, Dragon said I could get one at Radio shack so that is most likely what I am going to do. Ok thanks so much! I will keep you posted on what is going on. Thanks again!

Shawn

Back