Need help with setup

Pygmy Coho

I've been looking at the omni studio and I'm kind of attracted to it because I think it would take care of a lot of my needs in one little package. I'm concerned though that it might make it more difficult to expand my setup in the future. The delta 66 and breakout combo are also possibilities, I have a friend who may lend me his 12 channel mackie mixer. Which would be a better way to go? The audiophile 24/96 would also be a possibility. Would it be better to just get the audiophile and hook it up to the mixer, thereby saving a couple hundred bucks? Or does the omni have features unique to it that would outshine the audiophile/ mixer setup?

Also, I have an emachines 566 celeron. Should I anticipate compatibility issues with it? I know it's not the best (significant understatement) but I'm hoping it will do the job for awhile. On the bright side I have free replacement on it for another 2 yrs.

I would like to be able to write/edit/record stuff with a software and hardware combination. The vocals and guitar would be real, everything else being computer generated.

I'm looking for very good demo quality with the possibility of taking dry recorded tracks to a studio for mixing/mastering to bump it up to commercial quality

This is everything I currently have:

566 celeron 64 mb ram ( will upgrade to 256) 15 gb hard drive (will upgrade the hard drive eventually also)

acoustic guitar
electric guitar
boss dr5 drum machine ( want to use it as a sound module )
shure sm57 and sm58 mics
12 channel mackie mixer ( If I'm real nice to my friend )
Cubase from a friend possibly

I'm not sure what the proper name is for my style of music but lately I've been listening to Whiskeytown, Travis, David Gray, Richard Ashcroft (formerly of the Verve)

I hope this information helps

Thanks so much in advance for your help

pygmy...

what did you decide to go with? i'v been looking at the same set-up...
the aardvark 2496 or the new q10 also look very good...let me know which way you decided to go with....

..best of luck with your project...i'd love to hear some stuff when you get it down, (also a fan of dg and whiskeytown)

Back