Need Help With Guitar Tone

v3nge

Hi, I'm new here. I was hoping someone could help me figure out what's up with the electric guitar tone I'm getting when I record. I'm getting a fizzy tone when I use distortion, almost as if I were putting through a software amp or something. Idk what it is but it just doesn't sound right. And it also comes out sounding a little more distorted on recording than it does in the room. I'm not new to recording, but this is an issue I can't seem to figure out on my own so I hope someone here can help.

Here's my signal:
Les Paul Studio> Ibanez TS9> Blackstar HT Stage 60 (Clean Channel)> Rode NT1A (3 or 4 inches from screen, center of the cone)> Fast Track Pro> Pro Tools

I couldn't attached a sample, so here's a link where you can listen to it: https://clyp.it/2hzlnbdy
Thanks!

In what way? Do you mean having the screamer in front of the amp instead of in the loop?

No, I mean using the TS as your dirty tone. Use the amp's own gain. A TS9 is not a "distortion pedal". It's an overdrive pedal. They're better suited to push an already raunchy amp instead of being the raunchy amp.

And speaking of gain, use less. And then move the mic around. You have it in the brightest, fizziest spot of the speaker. Move it off center a little.

Out if the context of a mix, who can say.
It could be a fine tone in the right mix context.
What i hear more than a tone issue is a tuning issue, or a playing in tune issue. There is some " pitch warble" in there.

No, I mean using the TS as your dirty tone. Use the amp's own gain. A TS9 is not a "distortion pedal". It's an overdrive pedal. They're better suited to push an already raunchy amp instead of being the raunchy amp.

And speaking of gain, use less. And then move the mic around. You have it in the brightest, fizziest spot of the speaker. Move it off center a little.

Hmm... My amps overdrive channels don't sound that good either.

As Greg said. Also, the NT1-A is not a good choice for miking a guitar amp. They don't take high sound pressure levels very well, they are very crisp in the upper frequencies (which will accentuate any fizziness) and I find them to be very "hot" into my interface - so much so that I have to use a -10dB pad on the input or it will distort it. A much better choice would be a dynamic mic like an SM57 or SM58.

Out if the context of a mix, who can say.
It could be a fine tone in the right mix context.
What i hear more than a tone issue is a tuning issue, or a playing in tune issue. There is some " pitch warble" in there.

That's probably just my strings, I'm going to replace them as soon as I get to the store lol. I'm talking about the distortion quality.

As Greg said. Also, the NT1-A is not a good choice for miking a guitar amp. They don't take high sound pressure levels very well, they are very crisp in the upper frequencies (which will accentuate any fizziness) and I find them to be very "hot" into my interface - so much so that I have to use a -10dB pad on the input or it will distort it. A much better choice would be a dynamic mic like an SM57 or SM58.

Yup, that too. ^^^^^^

You're probably also recording at a pretty low volume to use that mic. You've got a perfect recipe for thin fizzy tone happening.

Good point about the mic. I have a SM57, maybe I'll test that out.

First question I would ask, is this part of a song that you are recording? If so, how does it sound in the mix? While many of us are here and doing this because we fell in love with righteous guitar tone in our younger days, my opinion is that we worry too much about guitar tone as an end in itself. The important question is, does it serve the song? I can imagine an arrangement where this tone would work.

That said, I hear the fizziness that you are talking about. More than that, it's a thin tone. It has more click than grunt. If you're looking for almighty crunch tone, that guy who just posted a comment about your gear could tell you more than most about how to get there. It won't be cheap, and your hearing won't love you. If it's something else you're looking for, describe it.

Basic questions: Guitar, amp settings (volume, gain, etc.)? What other microphones do you have available?

[Edit: Missed your subsequent exchange.]

Yup, that too. ^^^^^^

You're probably also recording at a pretty low volume to use that mic. You've got a perfect recipe for thin fizzy tone happening.

So I should try a hotter amp level? Should I invest in a distortion pedal? And if so can anyone recommend any?

So I should try a hotter amp level?

Yes.

Start by turning the MV up to somewhere between 2 o'clock and dimed. :)
Then adjust the channel volume until you get some growl. Leave all the EQ and other shit at noon, or where it would bt the most neutral.
That way you can hear what the amp and cab can do on their own.
Then you can fine tune the rest to taste, and decide if you need any OD pedals or such.

Yes.

Start by turning the MV up to somewhere between 2 o'clock and dimed. :)
Then adjust the channel volume until you get some growl. Leave all the EQ and other shit at noon, or where it would bt the most neutral.
That way you can hear what the amp and cab can do on their own.
Then you can fine tune the rest to taste, and decide if you need any OD pedals or such.

Yes. This. Get it louder. Let the amp be what it is. At least get it to it's "tipping point". That's the spot on the master vol where the amp really comes alive. It's noticeable. Find that spot and try it. You'll notice more beef, more clarity, and you can use less gain which mean less fizz. It might be louder than you're used to, but that's where it's gonna sound best. If you can get away with it, go loud.

As far as another pedal, that's up to you. But see what your amp actually does first when it's used as it's meant to be used.

If you're just hellbent on being a clean channel pedal monkey, IMO the Fulltone OCD is one of the best amp-in-a-box pedals there is..

Okay so I switched to the SM57, moved the mic to the edge of the cone, put my amp on the OD channel, cranked up the master volume and adjusted the channel volume. This is what I got: https://clyp.it/jt2is0vo

Definitely less fizzy-ness, sounds a little muddy now, but I can probably fix that by messing around with the mic placement and eq.
You guys were really helpful, thanks. I'm still not satisfied with the tone but I'll keep working on it.

Okay so I switched to the SM57, moved the mic to the edge of the cone, put my amp on the OD channel, cranked up the master volume and adjusted the channel volume. This is what I got: https://clyp.it/jt2is0vo

Definitely less fizzy-ness, sounds a little muddy now, but I can probably fix that by messing around with the mic placement and eq.
You guys were really helpful, thanks.

Yes, you're on the right track. That is a more natural sound. Try the mic just off center. That will get some brightness back in there but not the hissy fizz of dead center cone.

Or try dead center, but tilt the mic about 30-45 degrees.

I also have a blackstar, they seem to all be voiced quite dark.

Use the crunch channel but keep the gain down, the volume up and the master volume as loud as you can get away with. You'll probably find the tube screamer will tighten things up and take the mushyness out of it. Don't try and get all your distortion from the gain knob, try and use the volume knobs.

The TS9 is a great pedal. I can use it at low drive level for more saturation going into an overdriven marshall, or I can use use it at a higher drive level setting and get a good moderately distorted tube sound through a Super Reverb. Both sound great, just different flavors of the same genre. LDC that close to an amp doesn't seem like it would sound good and the 57 clip seems to have solved your miking problem.

I'm curious how your guitar, amp and pedal tone settings are set, because you should be getting a clear, raunchy grind coming out out of that particular rig.

Last edited:
Back