Need help with finding the right power supply

Mikeyprs

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of building a new pedal board and as the title suggests i want to find the right PSU to power all the effects.

The pedals that will be powered by the psu are as follows:-

Boss OS-2 = 12mA
Boss MT-2 = 20mA
Boss NS-2 = 20mA } 9vDC
Boss CE-5 = 20mA
Boss BF-3 = 40mA

Mark Tremonti power wah (when i get it ;D) = 12mA (DC)
Altho I am currently using a Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 = 0,43mA (DC)

Digitech Whammy (Newer model with Midi out) = 1.3 mA (AC)

At present I am using a godlyke powerall to power all the effects except the Whammy due to it needing AC and the Godlyke is DC and only provides 1.7mA.

Now, after some searching around the net I found a number of products that might do what I need it too but I get totally confuzzled with all the technical info.

http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/power/psu.htm

Basically I need some clarification on a few products, listed on the site above which states these products provide DC and AC outlets.

ADL/Pedalgear Juicebox
Dunlop/CAE Powerstation
Lee Jackson Custom PSU
Monotone Powerplant
Pedalpad Powerall
Voodoo Labs PP2
Voodoo Labs PP AC

There also a handfull of other products I am interested such as:-

T-Rex Full Tank Classic
Burkey Flatliner Pro
BBE Super Charger

Any help would be hugely appreciated Thanks in advance!

I think it might be helpful to list all of the voltages for your pedals too. Pedals don't care if they are getting too many mA in, they only care if they are getting too little. However, if you're supplying a pedal with too many volts of power it could fry the pedal. Could you please post the voltages and then I might be able to help you?

I think you may be getting confused between the current draw and what adapter is actually recommended for your pedals. 12 mA is abnormally low for a pedal.

Example:
26d69

I happen to be lucky enough to know a good friend who is really into electrical wiring, power, etc. He built me a custom power brick for my board that has custom voltages and power types for all of my pedals. If you could find a shop near you that does that type of thing, that would probably be ideal for your situation since you seem to have a very wide range of power types. If you don't want to do that, I think the best choice out of your list of options would be the Modtone Power Plant.

Good luck!

Hey guys, thanks for the help so far!

The modtone powerplant certainly looks like a good product but because I live in the uk, I can't seem to find a uk dealer either online or nearby so I would have to import it in from america.

To do so would effectively cost the same as getting something like the T-Rex Fuel Tank power supply from my local music shop. However I am not sure it will power my pedals despite my local shop suggesting it will (altho I've been going there for the 14 years it could still possibly be just a sales pitch who the hell knows? aha).

I have seen the burkey flatliner pro on a few pedalboards which have the similar brand effects im currently using i.e Boss, digitech, dunlop.
I'm not dismissing that the modtone power plant is bad or anything I'm just after an outside (preferably unbiased) opinion/s based on the effects I have given to you as a helpful guide to finding the right power soloution for my needs.

Thank you again in advance for all contributions given

sorry, i forgot to mention that altho I've seen the burkey flatliner supplying power to the same brand effects I am using it is extremely expensive. Altho i'm not overly keen on spending around £200 for a power supply but i would like to know what my options are before i fork out the money on something that will either make or break my effects pedals.

Could you bring your pedals to the music shop to test out a few of their power options? Testing before you buy is always the smartest thing to do.

Yeap this is the next step

I hope to take them to the local shop to try out a T-Rex fuel tank on tuesday on the hope im not too busy with work and whatnot. It is unfortunate they don't do alot of power supply options tho so im kinda having to hunt around online for local shops near me that retail PSU and then emailing to ask if they allow a 'try before you buy' scheme because some places are complete tools and wont let you try any gear out unless you have the intention of actually buying it.. =/ like how do i know if i want it untill i try it?? duhhh o_O LOL

just hope their are some places in this fricking county that sell some other PSU's =/

Nawr,
Both of them are US based only companies - so its kinda like back to the issue of having to pay the P & P to import it over here =/ which would be quite alot.
I could head down to london via the train i guess - have a hunt around down there if the Fuel Tank doesn't do the job.

Thanks For the suggestions so far guys!

Just a Quick update here guys, (in case people were wondering or are in a similar position)

I went down to my local guitar shop today called Coda music to try out the T-rex Fuel tank (Classic) power supply and sadly the end result was that the power supply could not/does not power the Digitech whammy with the red cable it comes pre-packed with much to my disappointment. however, I do think that if it did fit the 12V AC port would have or could have fried the whammy as its a 9Vac pedal.

SOoo I'm thinking what are my options now? well, its either buying the Modtone powerplant from The us (could not find a uk dealer anywhere online!) and wait for it to be imported Orrrr spend the £50 (or what the us dollar equivient is) and buy the Burkey Flatliner pro -_- undecided much???

To a certain extent it's not a major issue because I can continue with the current power supplies I have but i would rather not have to break down and set up my pedals everytime i go to the rehearsals and/or gigs (whenever my next one is aha).
But to be able to build the pedalboard I kinda need to find the right power supply that obviously works with what i have and know of its size to allow for its space on the board (erm.. yeah?).

So what else is out there???

Thanks for the suggestions guys

I'd choose out of your two remaining options by answering the following:

Which costs the least?

Which allows the most room for expansion?

Which fits the best on my board and works the best with my pedals?

Hmm.. the answer to those would be.....

Which costs the least?
Modtone Powerstation Which as it turns out there is one dealer in the uk *facepalm* (helps to search from the company website for international dealers aha) *rolleyes*

Which allows the most room for expansion?
Most probably the burkey flatliner, altho I don't think that for the foreseeable future I will be changing the set up anytime soon. Being the metalhead that I am, I'm pretty content with what i have atm ;D

Which fits the best on my board and works the best with my pedals?
I have seen the burkey flatliner being used on pedalboards via www.visionguitars.co.uk website that has all the same brands of pedals being used, yet the designers at modtone claim that the power plant WILL work with the digitech whammy. However, the Burkey Flatliner is like the size of house brick =/ so imo the Modtone would suit the pedalboard better being sleeky and smaller in design and size.

;D just a question of fronting the money which is always the fun part aha!

Back