Need help with EQ cutting questions.

vedder99

Hey I'm fairly new to recording and was wondering if you could help me out. I was wondering what a good starting point is for cutting out frequency ranges on certain instruments. I'm using Cool Edit Pro and I'm assuming by cutting a frequency your just basically taking that range and just dropping it way down in the negatives right? I'm using the Parametric Eq and I just wanted to make sure thats how you cut right? So what is a good range to cut instruments at. Elec. guitars range? Bass range? Am I cutting the right way? Thanks for your help.

Tyler

First ask yourself "why am I cutting?" Usually there are two reasons:

1 A small part of the sound is annoying (overtone, mud, ring in the snare, etc).

2 The instrument covers up another instrument.

If you are cutting EQ in an effort to re-shape the entire sound because you just don't like the tone at all, you probably need to re-track and not even bother with EQ.

Here's how I go about it: Play the entire mix. Set your EQ to a very high (narrow) Q value. Now boost the heck out of it on the problem track +12 db or more. Move the actual frequency of the EQ very slowly, listening for the exact point where the problem is at its absolute worst. That is where you should cut. Try to cut as little as you can to solve the problem. You can also play with widening the Q at this time.

And keep in mind it is rarely a good idea to EQ a track that is soloed. Work with the mix playing. I also like to apply any compression that the track might need before setting Eq since the compression might effect the EQ.

++++ Here's how I go about it: Play the entire mix. Set your EQ to a very high (narrow) Q value. Now boost the heck out of it on the problem track +12 db or more. Move the actual frequency of the EQ very slowly, listening for the exact point where the problem is at its absolute worst. That is where you should cut.++++

I don't really understand this method, although Ive read about it....can you please elaborate?

why would I boost the signal i want to cut and what am i listening for?

In a nutshell:
If you want to make something sound "better",,,, cut.
If you want to make something sound "different" ,,,, boost.

Chipa is saying BOOST your EQ to the max...sweep it SLOWLY accross its range... when it sounds its absolute most God-awful, that is where you cut. All you are doing is accentuating spot your problem to make it obvious. Just try it a few times.... when you hear it, you'll say "Duh!"
Try It

guido #2 said:
... when it sounds its absolute most God-awful, that is where you cut...

I think this advice should be used with some caution, especially for someone just geting the hang of things. Doing exaggerated boost or cut sweeps are a good ear vs frequency training tool and usefull to zero in on surgical spots. But, a few things. One is that what may in fact 'jump out' is the point where the most signal is, but not what needs fixing.
The other is that almost everything sounds god-awful like that.:D :D Nothing will sound normal for a while after you do that as it is very unnatural. Give your head a break listening again with NO eq and rethink what it is that needs fixing.
You'll more often be using moderately wide bell cuts/boost and shelves, and the same ear/freq training will always pay off. :)

"In a nutshell:
If you want to make something sound "better",,,, cut.
If you want to make something sound "different" ,,,, boost."

Cool tip. Haven't heard that one.:)
Wayne

Back