need help with computer gear

thatbobguy8

Alright,
Finnaly I have found a web site that may be able to help me. Here's the situation. I want to start recording via computer. I just sold my yamaha aw16-g. The reason, I have to many drum mics now. I need 10 inputs that I can have 10 separate tracks on. Basically I will be getting a g4 mac and need to figure out how to have this work. I want complete control over each drum and also be able to record more tracks like guitar, ect.I need to know how do I get from microphones on drums to computer including 4 mics with phantom power.Does anyone have a clue because I sure don't. thanks in advance Bob :eek:

Recording 10 tracks, each with its own channel, is booku money. I would suggest looking into a delta 1010...the prblem here is that it only has 8 line level inputs...which means no phantom/preamp so you will need a mixer or preamp. Now, you could add another delta 1010 to get 16 total inputs but if your gonna do that, you might as well go with something that has those number of inputs ...like the MOTO 24i/o...again..only line level so you still need an outboard preamp. the presonus firepod and the Aardbark Q10 (gone- company kaput) are my first thought ...they have 8 xlr/1/4" inputs, the Q10 only has 4 phantom though..not sure about the firepod. What is your budget anyway?

I wouldnt suggest tracking each drum, unless you have great mics and a ton of understanding on how to place them, stick with using less mics..i.e bass drum, snare, 2 overheads...depending on your set.

8 tracks at once on the G

Hey bobguy8,

Do I know you from the dijonstock.com forum (AW16G user group)?

The G can do 8 tracks at a time and you have built in pres....not so good pre's. More than 8 mics on a drum kit is gonna be problematic unless you really know what you are doing.

seryozha is correct about the M-Audio Delta 1010 or 1010lt...would do the trick but you would need an external pre.

Bart

Thanks guys,
I was looking at the m audio delta thing and the firepod. And yes I was on that other forum. I have good mics and yes I know how to place and use them. I use e/v nd468's on the toms(sweet) akg 430's overheads, d112 on the kick, and i go back and forth between sm57's on the snare and believe it or not nady cm90's. The nady is a cheap mic but it sounds good on this snare. Not all that glitters is gold I guess. Budget is ok but do not want to get crazy. I am very particular about drums and how they sound. To much music out there lacks any sonic qaulity and the drums usually sound like a set of mismatched luggage. The pre's on the aw16 were not very good. The machine is overall ok but not what I wanted. Plus with a g4 mac I get the garage band programm which has some killer synth,organ, ect patches. My friend uses it and I am impressed. I think I will be going with a mixer definately for the pre's thing, and it looks like possibly the m-audio delta stuff x 2. My question is how do you go from the m-audio thing to the computer? I know this sounds stupid but I really don't know and am not ashamed to ask.Let me know if you guys have any other suggestions. Thanks alot guys hopefully you will here music from me in the future.Blessings Bob.

*cracks knuckles*

The Firepod has phantom power available on all XLR inputs, switchable in groups of 4. Plenty flexible for me, not 100% sure if that will handle your needs.

The Motu/Firepod/M-audio Q's: The separated interface units, like the Firepod, are complete integrated interfaces to your computer. They connect via USB or Firewire. Firewire is the overwhelming preference for higher end devices since there is so much more bandwidth available. I could easily be wrong (somebody jump in here...) but from what I've heard Firewire has a bandwidth similar to a daughter board actually installed in the computer. My Firepod handles 8 inputs simultaneous with no perceptable problem, and apparently they are working on a driver that will make it possible to daisy chain them and do as many as 20 simultaneous inputs.

If you're talking about the M-Audio soundcards, those connect to your computer's motherboard the same way traditional graphics cards, sound cards, etc do. Unlike the integrated interfaces, however, they generally do not include preamps or numerous XLR inputs, and hence you will usually require a separate mixer to utilize them fully.

IMHO there's really not a tremendous advantage to either route: with the card method you get more individual upgradability, and likely a better control surface, with the integrated unit, you get the advantage of virtually guaranteed compatibility and easy setup, additionally, most integrated units are coming with entry level recording software which is a cost you have to think about... The Firepod comes with Cubase LE, for example.

The best advice that you can get right now, I believe, is to absolutely research the crap out of your options, there's more to know than you can possibly take in. If you have a local store or 2 that carries computer recording accessories, talk to absolutely every salesman, manager, owner, fellow customer, read every box, every brochure, every website. When I started down the road to getting started recording, I thought I knew exactly what I wanted. 6 months and probably 300 hours of research later, all my initial perceptions were out the window and I bought the equipment that genuinely suited my needs and was a solid value for my limited budget.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Back