Need help with compression(only experienced mixers and engineers please)

chills

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok im trying to get a better understanding of how to use compression. Lets say that i have a treshold of -9 and i plan to add compression to values above negative -9 with a 2 to 1 ratio.. what would be the end result of my audio signals above -9

im thinking that with a 2 to 1 ratio i would have a gain of 4.5 above -9 what does that do to my signals above -9

I believe that it reduces all signal over your threshold by the fraction. So at 2:1 with a threshold of -9, if you give it signal at -3, it would only pass 1/2 of whatever the overshoot is resulting in an output of -6. change the ratio of the same input signal to 3:1, the output level will be -7, change it to 6:1, output -8. Basically, the lhigher the ratio, the less the output, or the more it compresses.

Yeah, it's basically as simple as the math. The threshold dictates where compression starts, the ratio dictates how much. This assumes there isn't a soft-knee or other "knee-type" adjustment, which would tend to "soften" the point where compression starts.

But yes - If you're at -10 @ 2:1 and you feed a -10 signal, it comes out at -10. Feed it a -0 signal and you get -5. Every 2dB increase yields 1dB at the output.

Blue Bear Sound said:
Of course, you could also forget the math and just use your ears......!

We all know if this guy posted about just using his ears, everyone would post about how it's important to know the math behind it. :)

ryanlikestorock said:
We all know if this guy posted about just using his ears, everyone would post about how it's important to know the math behind it. :)
If he had used his ears, he wouldn't have needed to post! ;)

There's a new compressor out - it's called the No BrainerComp- which doesn't have any screenprinting on the front panel and no instruction manual. Perfect for beginners and pros alike.

Didn't have a smiley with the expression I had in mind.

robin watson said:
There's a new compressor out - it's called the No BrainerComp- which doesn't have any screenprinting on the front panel and no instruction manual. Perfect for beginners and pros alike.

That sounds just like the LA2A!
:p

????

Blue Bear Sound said:
Oh lighten-the-fuck up, it's called "light-hearted banter" (see you learned something new today!).............. :rolleyes:

Mine was just light-hearted banter, too, dude - right on the same level as yours. Funny, I never tagged you as a hypocrite, until that post. You're right, I did learn something today...

Back