Need help treating my bedroom

austin4130

I know there are a million threads like this, but...

Basically this started out as a quest to build a vocal booth (strictly for vox)

Now, i'd like something big enough to record guitar tracks in as well.

Also, I can hear my neighbors sometimes (it's an apartment!), so I'm sure they hear me jamming all the time, and i'd like to cut that down as much as possible.

Could I do that simply by building a booth? Or would there be way more to do than just that?

Heres a rough paint drawing of my room, i'm not real sure on the exact size but i think its 14'x12'

The AC is right behind the door, so i'm thinking that part of the room would be a bad idea for it.

asilentproposal

red is the bed, blue is the window, grey is my desk/computer, and the black box to the left is the bathroom and closet area (can't put it in there!)

Any ideas?

Sure - you can build a booth. It'll help some both ways. Doing it right won't be cheap but can be done without getting silly.

As for the link, try using tags instead of URL

Bryan

bump.

would fiberglass or any sort of acoustic treatment cut down significantly on what you can hear from outside of the room?

that's mostly what i'm shooting for. i need to be able to jam with my volume past 1!

lets skip the vocal booth for now, i've been getting decent results as it is, then i think with acoustic treatment it will be even better. so no need for a booth just yet.

so what could i do to cut down on the noise you can hear from the living room, or what my neighbors can hear?

thanks a bunch

Rigid fiberglass inside the room will help IN-ROOM acoustics and decay times but do nothing for isolation to the outside world. For that, you need a combination of decoupling and mass. If you want to jam, you need to build the booth - sorry.

Bryan

i don't necessarily need to be LOUD, i just want to be able to listen to/mix music at a comfortable level without worrying about the neighbors (walls are real thin, can hear them watching tv sometimes)

the only way to achieve that would be decoupling? i can't even just cut it back a little without all that?

just wondering.

If you can hear them watching TV, then any type of music listening/playing is going to be out of the question with the current construction. At a minimum, you'd want to blow in insulation into the wall cavities and double up the drywall - maybe some Green Glue between layers. Short of major construction, that's about the best you'll do.

Bryan

Back