Need help setting up my studio monitors??

ASG

I got a pair of studiophile bx5a deluxes that i need to hook up to my tascam us-800. Problem is i dont know which way to hook it up? the monitors have both TRS and XLRjacks, and on the tascam ive got 6 combo jacks that'll support both TRS and XLR, along with digital i/o, and RCA outputs on the back. I dont know which way to hook them up? I was told at sam ash that i should go with TRS cables, 1 going from each monitor into the interface, but thats not working. Im not sure which cable(s) to use, and whichever one i use, should i have 1 cable from each monitor or a 3 ended cable connecting both monitors ? im confused someone help please?

You really only have one choice for connecting the Tascam directly to the monitors and that is using RCA from the Tascam to TS at the monitors. To do this you will either need 2 RCA cables and 2 TS adapters or dedicated RCA/TS cables

I looked up your gear. Erich is right. Go get an RCA to 1/4" TS cable. You can plug the TS into the TRS jack on the speakers and you'll be in business.
cheers!

THANKYOU VERY MUCH idk why the guys at sam ash couldnt just tell me that. Good news is i happened to pick up 2 of those cables while i was there, cause they were only about 10 bucks and i had a hunch id need them lol! Ill do that as soon as i get home, is there a 3 ended cable with 2 RCA ends and 1 TS? or should i just stick to the 2 separate cables?

The RCA connection is just another type of TS connector. So you need two cables (one is for the left channel and the other for the right) each with RCA on one end and TS on the other. You can use two separate cables or a combined cable like this

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live-Wire-RCA14-Dual-Patch-Cable?sku=330489

The back of your interface has 4 RCA connectors - two are the L/R analog outs and two are for digital IO (see below). Don't hook the digital connectors to you monitors!

Attachments

• US 800 RCA.jpg
    US 800 RCA.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
THANKYOU VERY MUCH idk why the guys at sam ash couldnt just tell me that.
Because they didn't bother to look at your interface.

The combo jacks are inputs, not outputs. Since you mentioned XLR to them, they figured that was the way to go... Not realizing that you were talking about the mic/line inputs and not the monitor output.

K thanks will be sure to specify input/output correctly next time. On a totally unrelated question, i lost the driver disc to one of my keyboards, is that for just midi, or will i need to get another disc before i can record audio with it

K thanks will be sure to specify input/output correctly next time. On a totally unrelated question, i lost the driver disc to one of my keyboards, is that for just midi, or will i need to get another disc before i can record audio with it

What brand and model of keyboard?

About the 3 ended cable... it is best to use two separate cables unless you are going out of your interface's headphone jack or a stereo speaker jack. Otherwise you'll only get one channel coming out of both speakers.

The keyboard is the casio Wk-200. there arent drivers for it on the website, so ill have to wait until monday to have casio send me another one. But as for the cables, i have RCA/TS cables, but my tascam only has 1 set of RCA outputs, the other set is digital in/out. so does that mean ill need one cable to have the RCA left jack and one to have the RCA right jack?

The keyboard is the casio Wk-200. there arent drivers for it on the website, so ill have to wait until monday to have casio send me another one. But as for the cables, i have RCA/TS cables, but my tascam only has 1 set of RCA outputs, the other set is digital in/out. so does that mean ill need one cable to have the RCA left jack and one to have the RCA right jack?

Yep, you're exactly right there. Left goes to left speaker and right goes to right speaker.

Alright thanks. So just to clarify, on which ever cable i have plugged in to RCA left, the RCA right jack is just gonna be dangling there not hooked up to anything, and whichever cable i have hooked up to RCA right, the RCA left jack is just gonna be hanging there? Or can i buy 2 cables that each only have 1 RCA jack on them, one having the left jack and the other cable having the right jack??

ASG, the cable I showed you in my previous post is all you need - that is two cables in one.

You plug 1 RCA into the left and one into the right RCA outputs on the Tascam and each connector on the other end goes to a TS jack on the respective monitor - so all connectors on the cable are used.

Back