Need help setting up a 4 piece band with 8 inputs

Silverado1069

Hey everyone!

I am fairly new to the Recording field. I am just curious on how to setup a 4 piece band using 8 inputs. I have a Zoom R16 and would love to record all the drums on the first 7 tracks which leaves me with one open. What should be the next option to lay down? a basic overall live sound and record from there? Not sure please help

What mics do you have?

How big is the room?

What instruments is everyone playing?

How many are singing?

Normally I'd do drums and bass first then layer over that. But I can easily get 16 inputs and send monitor mixes to everybody. That allows the whole band to play and be in the headphone mix even if I don't keep everything. I find that gives a more natural result than having the drummer play without rhythm guitar, vocals etc.

Hey everyone!

I am fairly new to the Recording field. I am just curious on how to setup a 4 piece band using 8 inputs. I have a Zoom R16 and would love to record all the drums on the first 7 tracks which leaves me with one open. What should be the next option to lay down? a basic overall live sound and record from there? Not sure please help

Have you thought about using the 8th input to do a bass track along with the drums at the same time? The R16 has a DI input that you could use for the bass. That way you'd have 8 tracks left to record the other 2 pieces.....and have a tighter bottom to work with.

For Drums its 7 mics. Snare, 2 Toms, Floor Tom, Kick, and 2 OH. The room is small. enough for at least a 4 piece comfortably. As for Instruments its a acoustic guitar, bass, drums, and duo vocals.

For Drums its 7 mics. Snare, 2 Toms, Floor Tom, Kick, and 2 OH. The room is small. enough for at least a 4 piece comfortably. As for Instruments its a acoustic guitar, bass, drums, and duo vocals.

I'd recommend the following :
Drums 4 tracks - 2 OH (recorderman setup) 1 snare & 1 kick. Small room so that is probably more than enough. You might even be able to give up snare mic since OHs will capture that as well.

1 track bass

1 track acoustic guitar

1 track scratch vox

Not farmiliar with the recorder so if it can put out a separate click track then you have 1 track open. Which I would use for the second vocal. Or if you don't need the snare mic you would still have a track available

So I have the Zoom R16 and now i just got the Behringer XENYX X2442USB. Is there anyway to patch the 8 inputs into the behringer and possibly ad more tracks to record?

The Behr is a mixer that combines whatever is put into it and outputs to one stereo USB track. It sounded like you were using the Zoom as an interface into your computer? Unless you are using a Mac, you probably cannot use 2 USB audio devices at one time (there is a DAW that allows it with some finagling, someone has posted here about it).

The Behr is a mixer that combines whatever is put into it and outputs to one stereo USB track. It sounded like you were using the Zoom as an interface into your computer? Unless you are using a Mac, you probably cannot use 2 USB audio devices at one time (there is a DAW that allows it with some finagling, someone has posted here about it).

And if you can use two devices at least one of them is being resampled to prevent drift caused by using two un-synced clocks.

Back