need help quick

Veej007

hey...

i want to get into recording. i have a guy offering to sell me a "hercules game theater xp" sound card, but i think i need to snap it up real quick.

questions...

1 is it the sound card that determines what bit resolution / sampling frequency you can use? or can any card work at any level if you tell it to?
2 it has both optical and coaxial digital inputs and outputs... i'm not sure, but with digital audio connections, do you need two jacks (l and r) to get stereo? or does "coaxial" mean that you get both channels with one plug?
3 strictly this card has features other than the bare minimum one i'm going to be needing (ie it has a usb hub integrated with all the sound stuff). is that going to cost me performance-wise? i will be using this ONLY for recording, so i'm not sure if the extra stuff will be detrimental.

thanks for your help, everyone.

1) It is the sound card that determines the bit resolution and freq

2) Don't know :)

3) It will really only take a performance hit if you use USB devices through it.

The best question is though, how much are you going to pay for it? It probably does not have the best of a/d converters on it. You may want to suck it up and buy a real recording sound card like the MAudio 2496 depending on what you want to do with it.
http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--MDOAP2496

1) What fierojoe said.
2) You need just one cable for a stereo digital connection.
3) Whether it's suitable for recording is not so much determined by the extra's but by the driver support. Are there for instance ASIO drivers available for achieving a low latency. Low latency is a must.

What you need a card tailored for recording, not for a game/home theater system. The M-Audio 2496 Audiophile is a good card to start with.

Back