Need help placing mini-disk recording onto computer.

bornmad

I use a portable MZR70 Sony mini-disk recorder, and I recently attempted to take something I had recorded on it and record it through my computer's line in jack.

My mini-disk has these three sockets on it: Headphones 1; Headphones 2; Line in (optical input), and of course a microphone inpute as well.

I assumed that the only out put source on my mini-disk recorder would be the headphone inputs.

I then pluged my stereo mini-plug into the headphone input, and ran it into my computer's line-in source.

The problem is it doesn't seem to come out loud enough from my headphone input for me to record with, even with all my volume settings maxed out.

I assume I am right in thinking that my headphone input is my line out source, because no other out put source is available. Correct?

I turned my computers recording volume all the way up, and it still isn't loud enough for me to record into wave file with.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there somehting I don't know.

Can anyone help?

I am new at this myself...recently got a Sony MZ-R900. I am wondering if the problem is with the source recording and not necessarily the volume settings on your computer, if you checked that already. The recording volume in the 900 is rather low, especially with the automatic recording level on. Do you have manual recording level control in the R70? Also, what kind of microphone and software are you using?
But, yes the headphone jack on the MD is the line out. Unfortunately it is not a digital jack and only allows an analog transfer *to* the computer, you can only go digital when transferring *from* your computer with a digital cable on the Sony portables.

no digi out?

hey Muse!
i'm considering purchasing a MD and am thus scowering this info...

now you say the headphone out on the previous mentioned MD is an analog output, that's interesting, i handn't thought of that. are most MDs like this? do any portables (that are evenly priced) offer a digital out?

I am really only familiar with the Sony products, because I was interested in the MZ-R900 with its ATRAC 3 capability. Currently, I believe digital output is only available in Sony MDs on home decks. I Unfortunately this is not something I had considered when I purchased my machine, and I might have sacrificed the ATRAC 3 for a digital output if it were available on another brand.

It seems that most MD users are recording from their computers to their MD, not the other way around as I do. I have considered purchasing a ministereo system with a MD that has digital output so I can transfer things more easily back and forth and keep it digital. Of course, recording into the MD from a microphone means you are recording in analog to begin with... It's a lot to learn when you're not familiar with the electronic side of things. I should start a thread about the successes and struggles I am having with my live recordings of my music classes (voice and piano) and get some help myself!

Overall I am very happy with the MZ-R900, but you do pay a lot for the ATRAC 3. I guess it all depends on what you plan to use your machine for and what your price range is. I bought mine through International Connection (free 2nd day air), and when something didn't work quite right within the first two weeks, they replaced it without any problem.

Back