need help peeps

roachy

basically ive just started at uni studying sound engineering design doundation degree

im looking to turn my bedroom at home into a home recording studio

i will be using it to record vocals as well as produce music, my room is about 14 x 12 foot

basically i need help on cheapest sound proofing products, how to lay out the room, particians ect

if some one could help id be gratefull

Haha you said 'cheap' and 'soundproofing' in the same sentence! Good luck, even with some funds that's a very difficult process.. You can tame the acoustics somewhat, but without doing major construction, soundproofing is pretty much impossible. You need 2 things to soundproof: mass and detachment. I did a lot of research for may basement and finally said 'fuggit'.. It woulda cost thousands, and it wouldn't have been THAT good, so I simply dont get loud at night.

lots of egg boxes :)

:eek:

RoachDude! KCDude was kidding!
:D

And SuprDude is right. Mass and decoupling is how you get isolation. I too looked into the iso part and it was just too much. So I settled for a room inside my garage and throw doggy treats to the barkin little bastids when I'm tryin to record. :p

Also, with a 12'X14' room, you'd do yourself a favor by lookin into diy basstraps. Not alot of $$$ when ya do em yourself. There's a few threads around here that will show ya. With your room bein almost square (not good) ya just about Can't have too much bass trapping.

my 2c and a slice of cheese. :D

lets just say by cheap i mean within £700 which is equivalant to 1300 dollars or there abouts

id like to keep within budget as the more i save the more can be spent on equipment ect

but idealy i wnt a recording booth for vocals , all walls sound proofed and floor ect

not so much on about the foam tile but into the acoustic insulation and plaster board and flooring ect

ta peeps

Doubling (or tripling) up on the drywall - ALL of it - plus the ceiling of the room(s) below (if any) is the absolute cheapest/reasonably effective isolation.

Granted - Especially once the room has decent isolation, proper treatment of the space becomes much more vital. You could easily drop another $1300 on broadband trapping.

And of course, no foam tiles anyway...

Yeah, that works a little, but it's still a 1-leaf system where all the sound will flank fairly easily. Even if he does that he still won't be mic'ing a loud amp or playing drums late at night without bothering anyone. For me, that wouldn't be worth it.

But if you want to do it anyway, then double or triple the drywall on the other size of the wall too, ie in the adjacent rooms. And get a solid core door. And remember, drywall is really really heavy, make sure your structure can support it.

just wanted to know what the best bet would be to soundproof the room so i can produce music , play music loud and not disturb downstairs or the neighbours

as well as that i need to build a recording booth within the room

the room is only 11ft x 8ft

i was thinking of sectioning of part of the room 4ft x 8ft for a recording booth

the remaining 7ft x 8ft for the mixing room

if you could help me with ideas on soundproofing and treatment id be very gratefull mate

just wanted to know what the best bet would be to soundproof the room so i can produce music , play music loud and not disturb downstairs or the neighbours

as well as that i need to build a recording booth within the room

the room is only 11ft x 8ft

i was thinking of sectioning of part of the room 4ft x 8ft for a recording booth

the remaining 7ft x 8ft for the mixing room

if you could help me with ideas on soundproofing and treatment id be very gratefull mate

Hi dude, You're in the right place but in the wrong forum, really. You want the studio construction forum downstairs. But let me break it down for you early so you don't have any surprises when you meet Rick Fitzpatrick:

1) You are not going to soundproof your room, nor do you want to. What you want is a space where you can record your vocal parts and not have people call the cops on you. Big difference.

2) You are not going to want to break up a 12 x 8 room into smaller rooms. Trust me, you'll get a better sound out of a single, larger room. You will still have the problems associated with small rooms, but they won't be as bad. I record in a single room and get good results and so can you.

3) You do not want foam or egg crates. Period. Let me be clear: it isn't going to work and you are going to die in a fire. Please resign yourself to using what has been found to work; rigid fiberglass or rock/mineral wool in the 3.5-8pcf range. Expensive closed-cell foams like Auralex will work, but not as well as the fiberglass and at a greater cost. Again: The reason we aren't using bedding foam or "foambymail" or egg crates isn't that we are stupid. It is because they are dangerous and they do not work as advertised.

3) You are best served by getting a single bit of quality gear at a time than blowing your wad trying to get "everything you need" right out of the gate. You don't know what you need yet. Right now focus on not screwing your room up. Then look at some monitors and listen to music in there and get to know your room.

Welcome aboard,

SC

thing is ill be using the room for mixing cds, producin music and recording vox without the neighbours hearind me play loud music

my mum is not the type of person hu enhots hearing music when shes watching tv either lol

basically i wnted the room sound proofed to stop complaints of loud music whilst in production or mixing, and a seperate booth for recording vocals

ie sound proofing the walls and floor on the full room and building an isolated sound proof booth to record vocals

i need to think like this as the studio at uni which is top of the range is used to record by 8oo or more students so it will be hard to do my assignments without booking studio time

so i thought of turning my room into a studio

money doesnt really come into it but i dnt wna be spending over 1200 pounds on it with is about 2500 dollars

Yo RoachDude...

CreepyDude :-)D) speaks troof. As do the other dudes here. The only way you're gonna get soundproofing is MASS. :cool:

Mass ends up bein kinda expensive and a lot of work IF your existing structure can handle the extra weight.

You may just have to turn down when you're mixing or get a good pair of headphones. Not optimal but maybe worthwhile til you can get a dedicated space. my 2 pesos there.

"i need to think like this as the studio at uni which is top of the range is used to record by 8oo or more students..."

That's cool but it's comparing apples to oranges. A 14 X 12 bedroom isn't gonna sound like what you've got at the uni with top notch goodz.

P.S....don't bust up an already small room into a couple of smaller ones. I did that and tore it back down a year n a half later.

also my 2 pesos mang...
:cool:

so its clear that your in an apartment or duplex or something. and my advice is this: just use a closet to record your vocals, probably just me but im assuming you arent belting out those metal screams. and a closet provides quite a bit of isolation. i did the same thing you are doing, i turned a bedroom into a studio and what i did is lined the inside of the closet with auralex sonomat. of course this isnt as good as the multi layers of dry wall and incredibly expensive acoustic treatment but it works.

usually a closet would give you an incredibly boxy sound but the auralex foam (contrary to popular believe) does help with that. of course you arent gonna be getting the room sound that everyone here craves so much, but of course you and i arent pro engineers in pro studios. were just in our bedrooms (this is the newbie section after all :D) hoping for the best and we could always add a touch of reverb later on to help with that.

and as supercreep said: you dont wanna die in a fire... so if you do decide to take my advice, make sure you keep heat away from your incredibly flammable foam.

For vocals, I simply put a bucket over my head, with a hole in it, through which to poke the mike. I can't sing anyway but it sounds great! I then pasted a picture of Pavarotti's face from a magazine on the outside. So it looks great, too.

for vocals, i simply put a bucket over my head, with a hole in it, through which to poke the mike. I can't sing anyway but it sounds great! I then pasted a picture of pavarotti's face from a magazine on the outside. So it looks great, too.

:d :d :d .............

thing is ill be using the room for mixing cds, producin music and recording vox without the neighbours hearind me play loud music

my mum is not the type of person hu enhots hearing music when shes watching tv either lol

basically i wnted the room sound proofed to stop complaints of loud music whilst in production or mixing, and a seperate booth for recording vocals

ie sound proofing the walls and floor on the full room and building an isolated sound proof booth to record vocals

i need to think like this as the studio at uni which is top of the range is used to record by 8oo or more students so it will be hard to do my assignments without booking studio time

so i thought of turning my room into a studio

money doesnt really come into it but i dnt wna be spending over 1200 pounds on it with is about 2500 dollars

I sympathize and understand why you want to do those things. My point is that you can't do them with 1300 bucks.

You're not going to get permits, float a floor, build a two-leaf room-within-a-room, design and install a suitable HVAC system, and treat the room for 1300 bucks. It is not going to happen no matter how badly you want it.

well iv sized up everythin after doina studio plan

it looks as if jus the materials them selves are gunna cost me $900 which is fine by me

is dat about right for a room 11x 8 ft

basically takin the floor up , putting acoustic foam inbetween the joists, putting it back down then using acoustic underlay and wooden flooring

then building a frame with acoustic foam all around the room and doubling up on acoustic plaster board

once the room is sound proofed i can concerntrate on building my recording booth which is only going to be a small one either 3 x 3 ft or 4 x4 wt ever suits best

does dat sound about right?

well iv sized up everythin after doina studio plan

it looks as if jus the materials them selves are gunna cost me $900 which is fine by me

is dat about right for a room 11x 8 ft

basically takin the floor up , putting acoustic foam inbetween the joists, putting it back down then using acoustic underlay and wooden flooring

then building a frame with acoustic foam all around the room and doubling up on acoustic plaster board

once the room is sound proofed i can concerntrate on building my recording booth which is only going to be a small one either 3 x 3 ft or 4 x4 wt ever suits best

does dat sound about right?

Nope. Sounds like you're going to waste $900. Good luck.

Back