Need help on Vocal/home computer recording!!!

Wonder

I need help on what are sufficent and adiquate computer specifications for Good home recording????
but cost effective as well.

I currently have a computer system with:

Intel celeron 333mhz
Fuji fj8938 4.3GB IDE HDD hard drive
100 MB RAM
sound blaster live sound card

i also have a number of programs such as Cubase VST, sound forge, cool edit and more...but thats not my problem!!!

I know there are other thing i need to have (eg. mixer, vocal mic etc CDR-W etc.....)
but before i do that i would like to know if the computer specs i have (mentioned above)are adiquate enough to handle at least vocal recording, mixing and burning cd's???

please if anyone could let me know if what i have is good enough or do i need to up grade...if i do need to upgrade...what do i need to up-grade to???

Much thanks
Steve

it should be. The more powerful your PC the better but if you cant afford to upgrade right now then it isnt a porblem unoless you plan to have many plug-ins or VST instruments on the go...

You can probably overclock your CPU. Here's how.

Also, since RAM is so cheap, you can probably get some more. I would suggest at least 256 mb.

Thanks guys......i'll take your advise....it's just that sometime i'll be mixing and i'll be adding some effects and for some reason the play of mu music seems to be straining if you know what i mean. especially when i use Direct X plug-in effects......i like to do all my overdubbing on cubase vst because it so easy to sequence and arrange the different parts of my song...but what i don't want is when i start to do vocal recordings that the program shuts down on me......because sometimes i might be doing some thing and all of a sudden that "THIS PROGRAM HAS PROFORMED AND ILLEIGAL OPERATION* window pops up and i have to close my progam there and then...and not able to save what i was doing.... i also want to avoid those little glitches that happen when i play back my music , it just seems at certain points as if my music is straining...i know it's not memory because i hardly have any thing stored on my hard drive and i have a 100mb ram and also i have the LS120 floppy disk drive. so i know i'm good for memeory. I want to know if i need to upgrade my processing speed or do i need a bigger harddrive like a 9.3 GB or something!!!
could you shed some more light on this for me??

Are you running Windows '95, or Windows '98? '95 crashes quite a bit more frequently. Your CPU may be overclockable, but be careful and make sure you know what you're doing.

My first setup included a Celeron 466, 128MB RAM, and a very slow 3GB hard drive, like yours. If you're only working with a couple of tracks, that hard drive should be fine - the CPU's a bit slow, though. But not that slow... if you're running Windows '95, I think I'd point to that as the cause of your troubles.

Back