Need Help On Keyboards/Sound Modules

Jae Little

Okay, I should have enough money to get some equipment soon. That's if everything works out as planned but I'm a bit confused right now. What I want to get is...

Triton Le
Motif ES6
Fantom XR
Alesis Ion
MicroKorg - May be
Triton Rack - May be

I know you're wondering why get the Le and Triton Rack because the Triton rack has more sounds and I can add to the EXB PCM expansion boards. I like the Le that's why I want it and I really only have enough money to get the Le as of right now. I still don't know yet if I should get the Triton Rack or not. Do y'all think it's a bad idea to have both? I was told it wasn't but I just want a few more opinions on it.

One more thing…

Can y'all please list some good rackmountable sound module and prices? I was looking at the Roland V-Synth XT but I haven't tested it so I don't know about it. I was also looking at the Korg MS2000BR but I haven't tested it either. Have any of you tested them out and are they any good?

I know this does not answer you question, but I find most people who purchase multiple keyboards/modules get each one for specific needs. You mention you want the Triton because it has "more sounds" than the LE - but is it more of the sound you need?

While each of the units you mention are fine untis (each with it's own pro's and cons) it does seem like you are planning to purchase a lot of redundancy.

As an example, I don't do a lot of hiphop/dance/trance music but I do play alot of country/pop/jass - so I have one unit which provides the "best" sampled piano sounds, I have another unit that has the "best" pads sounds" and another unit that provides great reed & brass sounds and another unit that provides analog sounds with real time control over the parmeters. Each unit was purcahsed for a specific reason to fill a specific need. If I did hip-hop perhaps I would then purcahse a different unit to provide the sounds needed for that genre. I don't pay extra for a keyboard "workstation" since I use a multitrack compuuter program (thus I don't need on board sequencing). I identify what I need or don't need and purchase accordingly.

Don't buy several keyboards just to get a lot of sounds - buy keyboards that compliment or supplement each other. If you have the cash to buy that much gear - great, but perhaps you should start with one or two units, learn how to use them, identify what sounds they can or can't provide and then start to plug in the holes.

It all comes down to sounds. Check out the factory patches and pick out the one you like. If you change your mind and get into Techno, hip hop or soundtrack stuff then check out the Access Virus and remember that you can tweek the hell out of it. Phattest sounding module out there.

I've actually changed everything because of that. Instead, I'll just get the Keystation 88es or 88 Pro. Get the Fantom XR, ES Rack, Korg MS2000BR, and Ion. I might look into that Access Virus because it might be a good piece of equipment.

Jae Little said:
I've actually changed everything because of that. Instead, I'll just get the Keystation 88es or 88 Pro. Get the Fantom XR, ES Rack, Korg MS2000BR, and Ion. I might look into that Access Virus because it might be a good piece of equipment.

I like this plan a lot better. Although I personally would put the Access higher up on the list than the MS2000BR or Ion. But as Blade_Jones said, it all comes down to the sounds.

I had the Triton Studio 88 and the Triton rack midied together and really enjoyed it. I did sell the rack later on and still have the Studio. I have a lot of other keyboards however to get a good variety of sounds if I choose.

If you just have a few keyboards I would suggest something like the Motif rack and the Triton le. Or the Triton Karma and the Motif rack.

Best of luck and have fun pushing buttons.

Ron

Back