Need help on configuring monitors/soundcard

Whyte Ice

The Next Vanilla Ice
I have a pair of M-Audio BX5's with an SBX subwoofer connected straight into an M-Audio Delta 44 soundcard. My problem is setting the Variable Signals Level for Outputs in the Delta 44 control panel. I've always been under the impression that I should have it set at +4dBu but whenever I play anything through the monitors, the sound is slightly distorted and harsh compared to the other two settings (which are 'Consumer' and '-10dBV'). If I set it to -10dBV, the sound is too low and not very crisp (the exact opposite of +4dBu) but if I set it to Consumer, it sounds better.

I'm pretty lost when it comes to these options. The Delta 44 manual doesn't explain these settings. I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what the best settings are. Also, is it fine to connect the monitors straight into the soundcard? Would doing this affect my monitors/soundcard in any way?

Check your BX 5 specs and see what they recomend for the input level. Usually the only choices are +4 (often called Pro) and -10 (often called Consumer). Not sure what their middle 'Consumer' setting would be.

There isn't any big difference in sound quality between the two. It's mainly a matter of matching the proper levels for the equipment.

Back