Need help mastering

I don't have the best listening environment right this second, but seems to me like the kick is completely swallowed in the mix. The hats seem a bit too loud... not a ton, but a little bit. And the crash cymbals also are a bit loud and seem very phasy... if that's even a word. I would add some verb on the vocals at the beginning also, and some harmonies on the vocals would be nice there also... honestly though, I would retrack that section of vocals, then add the harmonies. I like the guitars though alot on the mellow parts, and the guitar intro at the very very beginning...

Garageband has pretty good presets for compression and equalization. You should study them and then adjust to personal preference.

Drums sound kinda bad. Vocals aren't the greatest, sounds like he's not trying too hard or something, but they're not bad. Guitars sound pretty good but thin. Bass is a little dull.

It sounds pretty good overall. Just those few nitpicks. The background effects and guitars sound really good.

Hey Genesisariana, haven't heard of Garage Band yet... anyway, typing as listening... the clean intro guitar is a bit thin and seems to continue that way throughout. The rhythm and melodies are nice though, has a nice laid back vibe going with the vox and drums. Some nice sounding slow sections in there too. Sounds like in the solo at the end the lead guitar is a bit distant and the rhythm on the left channel sticks up a bit much. Anyway, enjoyed the tune :cool:

The most obvious fault is the uneven tempo, which is causing insecurity for the R-Guit and Bass, which keeps the recording from Rockin-out. Find a way to lock down the drummer with a click track. I believe that this one change will solve a lot of problems. Poorly played parts will NEVER sit well in a mix. Tracks that ROCK can be mixed a thousand ways and will still sound great.
I don't want to be too rough on you but it's better to learn this stuff early. Otherwise you will be trying to "fix it in the shrink-wrap"
If I didn't think that you guys had some potential I wouldn't bother commenting.

chazba

cool song!!! I like it. I like that spacey bridge. Vocals are a bit pitchy at parts but I like the song alot.

I appreciate all the wonderful help. I am going to try to retrack the drums using a firepod (instead of just one mic) and a click for the drummer. I will redo the vox too if we have time.

Back