Need help identifying rhythm to set up metronome.

I feel absolutely ridiculous asking this, having played drums for so many years I feel like I should better understand my theory.

I'm trying to record some basic Travis picking patterns for A Song For A Winter's Night by Gordon Lightfoot and I'm getting in the habit of using a metronome when I record in Reaper. The song is very straightforward and clearly in 4/4 and around 98 BPM give or take a few but I can't seem to follow the metronome at all whereas it's not a problem with other 4/4 material.

I can tap my feet and fingers along to what I want to do, but I can't translate that to the metronome -- I know the Reaper metronome is limited in it's settings though. It's more a swing(?) feel (Song For A Winter's Night) but due to my lack of theory knowledge I can't translate that rhythm into setting up a click track (even if I have to go outside of Reaper).

For reference purposes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN4uxtOfGrk

Sorry if this isn't an appropriate question for this forum, I wasn't sure where to post it. Thanks guys.

I clicked cause I like Gordon- don't know that one though.
A straight four should (could) work, but on a click, I'd think it might flow or feel better if it was 'and prominent- like a drum track, straight' would feel terribly stiff.

I loaded the song into Reaper.

I set the tempo for 98, and the song is indeed around that tempo.

It is a straight 4/4 . . . I can't hear any swing in it all. It has an underlying samba rhythm which may be what's putting you off.

Try the metronome at double time - 196 bpm. The downbeat of the click fits better to my ear.

Try the metronome at double time - 196 bpm. The downbeat of the click fits better to my ear.

On my little Boss metronome I set it for 98. Then it has volumes for the one' and the and'. Turn one' down and you're similar to your '196', but with a and' hat feel. :)

I loaded the song into Reaper.

I set the tempo for 98, and the song is indeed around that tempo.

It is a straight 4/4 . . . I can't hear any swing in it all. It has an underlying samba rhythm which may be what's putting you off.

Sorry to the OP if this takes things off topic, but I think it might be a "trick" they can use too...how did you lead the song into Reaper? Just as an MP3 (or something similar)?

Thanks guys. I think swing was the wrong word. Later in the song they're clicking (something?) and it's just straight 4/4 for sure but I agree, it feels very stiff trying to pick to 98 bpm. I will give the 196 thing a shot.

I personally just loaded an .mp3 into a 98 bpm project and moved the file around and it seemed fairly consistent, though in the original recording I think there is a bit of fluctuation in tempo (which is fine!)

Back