need help getting my soundcard working!

poprobot

i'm using an audiophile 2496 card on an Athlon1.2 - 256MB - with Vegas Pro software...

a few moths ago my hard drive crashed and i replaced it, as well as the motherboard and CPU - ever since then i have been unable to record with my 2496. i have it routed correctly and selected as the primary recording device both in windows mixer, vegas, and the M-audio mixer console...

i can playback on the card but am getting no record signal in the VU meters. it worked fine before the crash with these same settings and cabling - now no signal...

any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Did you reinstall everything after the upgrade or just copy the data off the old hard drive and continue like that?

I would think there might be a fair amount of trouble if you swapped the motherboard and just rebooted off the disk. It would detect new hardware presumably, but I would worry that there would be some potential incompatabilities. Just a guess...

thanks for your reply...

nope i reloaded drivers off the M-audio disc. the computer definitely acknowledges the card - it exists in device manager - no conflicts - and even plays audio just fine! i just can't get a record signal on the VU meters in Vegas!

thanks for your reply...

nope i reloaded drivers off the M-audio disc. the computer definitely acknowledges the card - it exists in device manager - no conflicts - and even plays audio just fine! i just can't get a record signal on the VU meters in Vegas!

Are you getting no signal on the meters in Vegas but some signal on the meters in the M-Audio Mixer?

Does that card have a virtual Patchbay like the Delta 1010?

If so, make sure the H/W in is routed correctly.

If you have signal on the M-Audio Mixer, but not the software, then I suspect the software(duh!):D

I wasn't talking about reinstalling the sound card, I meant all the rest of the system -- the new motherboard with its different (no doubt) chipset, drive controller, etc....

yes - i reinstalled both the Vegas software and the soundcard's drivers. i don't think it's a motherboard/chipset problem since i can play audio from vegas using the 2496 - but no input levels on the VU in either M-audio mixer or Vegas...

poprobot said:
yes - i reinstalled both the Vegas software and the soundcard's drivers. i don't think it's a motherboard/chipset problem since i can play audio from vegas using the 2496 - but no input levels on the VU in either M-audio mixer or Vegas...

Make absolutely sure that you have signal going INTO the 2496.

Plug your source into something else, just to be sure the issue isn't the source.

Watch the M-Audio's meters while you connect and dis-connect the cables to the inputs. you should see little pops on the meters as you do this.

If it's still not showing signal, did you check the Patchbay/Router section? If H/W 1&2 IN is set to Monitor mixer, and you have H/W 1&2 in muted or turned down on the Monitor Mixer, you'll have no signal.

Sorry if this is obvious stuff that you've already tried, but sometimes it's the obvious stuff that hangs us!:D :D :D :rolleyes:

BTW the problem almost certainly revolves around the soundcard, not the Vegas, since you have no signal on the M-Audio Meters.

thanks maestro - i got it working! i had the H/W out 1&2 set to monitor instead of out... i guess that was it.

now i wonder why the signal is so low? i have the m-audio mixer maxxed at 0.0 db and my mackie mixer is cranked but my levels in vegas' Vu meters are barely hitting -30 db... how can i get these up closer to 0?

thanks again for the hints!

1/4 " main out from the mackie into RCA adapters - into the delta inputs... ctrl room out from the mackie to my monitors... still just getting -18db on the VU's !?!

Yeah, but you know what. . .if the meter is almost peaking in the M-Audio Mixer, then you are close to overdriving the input of the card, so don't try to get a hotter signal in.

Sorry that was just my first thought.

It must be somewhere else in there that it's set wrong.

I don't know nothin' bout Vegas man!

Back