Need help from someone who can understand mic specs!

Tele The Truth

I'm recording to a Tascam 424 MKIII using a sampson s12 mic. Here are the mic's specs. I noticed that the recordings I'm working on are kind of thin and a little on the trebbly side (vocals and accoustic). Based on the specs for this mic, would it be the main cause for this problem?

As a side note, I record each track totally flat and am trying to get the natural sound before I start to tweek anything with the onboard eq. I just picked up an ART Tubepac preamp and it really helped in filling out the vocals and added some nice compression when used judiciously.

Thanks!
:)

Not a good mic for recording and I doubt if it's that good for live (don't know though)
Most guys are using large condensers (or large diaphragms anyway) for vox and small diaphragm condensers for acoustic.
You will get mostly mids without definition from this mic.

Thanks for the info guys. I spent 3 hours last night trying the samson mic in different spots around the guitar (front, back and side) with the best sound being with it pointed at the side of the guitar around 6" from there the neck and body join. But even then, it sounded rather thin and lacked definition. As a country musician, there's some twang to both my guitars and my voice, so if my mic is indeed mid heavy, that would explain the sound I'm getting.

BigRay, is the MXL 1006 colored in any way? I would almost think a mic with a little darker coloring would add a richer sound to the twang. Would this thinking be along the right path, or am I wandering again?

Back