Need help from my fellow hip hoppers.

Canibus

Lately, I've been having tons of ideas. Been reading a lot which gives me fuel to write but I'm hesitant to record my thoughts. I currently have a m audio fast track pro usb interface so that acts as my sound card.(you guys think this is good enough?)The mics I'm equipped with are my audio technica 2020 and my Samson c01. I've been apprehensive though because the obstacle of mixing. I don't even have monitors and probably won't be able to afford a pair any time soon but I'm still determined to mix without the aid of them. I do have of my computer speakers and some sony headphones. I know they aren't ideal but would one have an edge over the other. So If someone could explain the basic definition of mixing and maybe some tutorials. My interpretation of it is making the vocals and beat sound equal. Is it all preference? Do some people like the beat to drown out the beat and some people like the vocals to dwarf the beat in terms of sound. One last question. When people say, "you don't know how to mix" or "your mixing is bad". What are they saying? That you cant hear your vocals or what? Thanks. respond as soon as possible. :)

If i were to sum it up in one statement, the purpose of mixing is to set levels and parameters of each audio track in a way that each instrument/vocal is distinguishable from the rest of the mix. Every track would have it's own sonic space and be intelligible. Is this easy, no. It takes time to really learn mixing. Actually, there is no set way to mix. I mix everything different. I've went through alot of trial and error to get where i am now. I'm still not where i wanna be, but i've came a long way. I used to have like 15 plugins stacked on one vocal track trying to make it sound "professional". The vocals i used to have were very unprofessional. They were decent considering that i was using a cheap radioshack mic tho. Just research all you can about the topic. Read every article and tweakheadz.com. Click on the link to the guide. You will learn alot at that one site alone.

tone_aot said:
If i were to sum it up in one statement, the purpose of mixing is to set levels and parameters of each audio track in a way that each instrument/vocal is distinguishable from the rest of the mix. Every track would have it's own sonic space and be intelligible. Is this easy, no. It takes time to really learn mixing. Actually, there is no set way to mix. I mix everything different. I've went through alot of trial and error to get where i am now. I'm still not where i wanna be, but i've came a long way. I used to have like 15 plugins stacked on one vocal track trying to make it sound "professional". The vocals i used to have were very unprofessional. They were decent considering that i was using a cheap radioshack mic tho. Just research all you can about the topic. Read every article and tweakheadz.com. Click on the link to the guide. You will learn alot at that one site alone.
thanks, if anyone has more advice, drop it

If you're going to mix using speakers/headphones, I wouldn't go against it (for now) since that's all you have. BUT, learn your speakers as you go. I mix all of my beats using a pair of closed ear headphones that I know and trust...same with vocals. All of this is while I wait to get the monitors I want.

Exactly Right. You have to know "your" equipment. I don't have the highest end setup, but i know my stuff. I have a pair of berhinger truth monitors and a pair of sony mdr-cd180 headphones. I mixed on those headphones for a year before i got monitors and my ears are adjusted to them so i know how my mix will translate. I've been using the truth monitors for about 10 months. I just got my own pair of them about 2 months ago. I usually just mix normally in my headphones, then i check the mix on the truths and adjust from there. I usually get about 85% of where i wanna be before i hit the monitors. And those are some cheap headphones but i love them. I think the best advice about gear of all is just to know your gear.

Back