Need help finding the guitar tone for ‘Bodies’ by smashing pumpkins

Sadly_cooper

Both rhythm and lead would be sweet. I have the big muff OP amp pedal. I’m pretty sure there’s some delay and phase on there. I’m using plug-ins for those.
Im having trouble getting that smooth distorted tone Corgan gets. Mine sounds to sharp and fuzzy.
Mp3 is what I got so far and is not mixed and they’re rough takes.

Here’s the tone I’m after:

Attachments

• bodies.mp3
    9.7 MB
Last edited:
The phasing sounds like it's an artifact of the extraction process. The actual guitar track probably doesn't have that unless it's coming from a side-chain compressor

From your sample, you have waaaay too much distortion on the leads. Billy was probably playing clean or just the lead channel on the amp for that.

The phasing sounds like it's an artifact of the extraction process. The actual guitar track probably doesn't have that unless it's coming from a side-chain compressor

From your sample, you have waaaay too much distortion on the leads. Billy was probably playing clean or just the lead channel on the amp for that.
I appreciate the feedback! gonna mess around with some side chains and definitely turn down that distortion on the lead.

Yep, like stated it's way too gainy... also note that Corgan recorded layers of guitars... so record much much cleaner than you'd think you would... just the fact that stacking multiple takes will make the gain sound higher in the end... that being said... I'd rather your cover version sound as is... i.e. "different" than just trying to get the same tone as the original... make it your own. Unless you just want that "tone" for some other original song...

Back