Need help experimenting

solaris1982

Just got my new amp (yay!). It's a VOX AD30VT. Not the greatest, but I'm slowly building up an equipment list. At the moment, the only guitars I have are a les paul knockoff (jay turser) and a Schecter C-1 Classic. In order to fully experiment to "find my sound" as it were, or just to maybe come up with a sound to drop into recordings occasionally, I need a guit with single coil pickups. The Schecter has 2 buckers on a 5-way switch for coil splitting, but I would guess it just isn't the same.

I'm on a really tight budget, so to start, I was thinking of getting one of the rogue lipstick guitars and maybe upgrading the pups. Would this be a terrible idea?

You might want to check out a few Ibanez guitars before you decide. The AXE 70 isn't a bad guitar (around $200) with humbuckers. They are far more playable than compareably priced Rouges.

I need to speak clearly, it seems. I'm looking for a guitar without humbuckers. I consisdered a MIM Strat, but that's just a shade out of my current budget. I'd rather not have a Squier, but if it's all I can afford...

Hmmm...

I never really thought about that, but it is definitely a good idea. Any suggestions on specific models that I could look at?

If you're on a budget go to www dot guitar fetish dot com. They sell a wide selection of GHS Pups. I've never used them but I keep reading a lot of good things from folks who have. I think you'll find exactly what you're looking for. If you can find a Squire from the mid 90s or the late 80s, they are made in either Mexico or Japan. You'll be able to tell because the Squire logo is very small and right at the top of the headstock and Fender is in large print right where you'd expect it to be. (At least on the MIM Squires - don't know about the MIJ) I've got a 94 Squire Strat that I'd put up against most others, regardless of where they were made. I did, however, put a set of Bill Lawrence Keystones in it.Good Luck

BTW - I've read some not-so-good reviews about the Rogue that has the lipstick Pups.

Last edited:
Why do you need a single-coin only to experiment?

I suppose you can get Peavey Predator with 3 single coins. I suppose?

A great match up for your Vox would be a re-issue Danelectro U-3 with the signle coil lipstick tube pickups. They play well for inexpensive guitars and have the classic trashy but not too twangy sigle coil sound ie Southern Culture On The Skids http://www.myspace.com/southerncultureontheskids
and Link Ray http://www.last.fm/music/Link+Wray

You should be able to find a used reissue for $200 or less on ebay. I think they stopped making these a couple of years ago. Or and original vintage U-3 sells for around $500 - $800 depending on year and color. Reds and blues cost more than browns and tans.

I'll probably end up getting a set of the Dream-90's from Guitar fetish ($60 for a pair!). I only mentioned the Rogue because it was MF's stupid deal of the day that day. $100 for a guitar will at least make me inquire about it.

The LP knockoff really wasn't too expensive, but it plays really easy and it was my first electric that didn't totally suck, so I'll probably have it for quite some time. Modding it will probably only make me love it more, right? :)

Back