Need help connecting Mixer to Interface

coolerguy

I just recently bought a Soundcfraft mixer and need help connecting it to my sound card. I'm not sure what kinda cables I need for the Playback In and the Record Out, or pretty much how everything needs to be hooked up.

Here's the mixer:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Soundcraft-COMPACT-4-Mixer?sku=630925

Here's the Interface:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Fast-Track-USB-Computer-Recording-Interface?sku=703606

If anyone could let me know which cables I need, I would appreciate it alot.
Thanks in advance.

First of all, you made a very good choice on the mixer.

Not such a good one on the interface.

The interface is limited by having just one microphone input and one mono line input, although there is a switch to send the mono signal to both sides of the stereo field.

If you can still return the interface in favor of one of these it will make it possible for you to record and monitor in stereo.

If that's possible, post again when it arrives and I (or someone else here) will give you the simple plugging it in directions. If not, post again and we'll go from there.

I agree completely with you on the current Interface I'm using. Unfortunately it's too late for me to return it, so it looks like I'm stuck using it for a while till I can afford a better one.

p.s
can you suggest what kinda cables I'll need?

For the input from the board to the interface you will need this y-cable. Then you will need to switch the input on the back of the interface to line and use a standard guitar cord to connect the interface with the y-cable after having hooked up both 1/4" plugs to the record out of the board. There are cheaper alternatives, but you will find that those last a week or a month and then one of the connections inside giving you phase problems at best or a non-functioning y-cable at worst.

For the output from the interface back to the board you will need this. They have them in one foot and six foot lengths with only a dollar difference in price, so get the longer one. The plug the RCA end into the outputs of the interface and the 1/4" plugs into the 'playback' inputs on the board

Ok. Also i want to state i'm gonna be using the xlr connectors on the mixer for a condensor mic, just thought i would mention it for future reference.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Hosa is one of the 'money-saving in the short run, fucks up in the long run' brands I was warning you against.

This is your first time setting these two devices up and with a little extra money spent now you can have it run trouble-free for as long as you're happy using both of them.

That's just my advice --- buy what you think is best.

Back