Need help choosing a preamp for my setup

mplnckstrat

I've been reading as much as possible on whats out there, but I'm not sure which direction to head in. I've been assembling my setup, and preamp is the next to be taken care of. As of now my home studio consists of...

Soundtracs Topaz 24ch
Tascam DA-88/DA-38 synced
Event TR-8 monitors
TC Electronics M300
CLX-440 (emergency use only)
headphone amp
Shure Beta 52
Shure SM-57 (3)
MXL 2001-P
Oktava MC-012 (2)
Samson CO1 (2)
Presonus ACP-88 (on its way, but not here yet)
other random stuff like headphones, etc....

I want a clean pre that can multi task for me, as in vox, instruments, drums, etc. I can't afford more than about $700 MAX. Do I go with something like the M-Audio Octane for lots of channels, or should I get a couple different pres like a RNP and DMP-3 combo or such??? The Groove Tubes Brick also intrigues me... Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm recording mainly Rock and Blues, along with some Acoustic/Vox, even a little country for a friend of mine. No hip-hop for me, even though I like the Beasties and all...

I've owned the DMP3 and RNP. While both are excellent mic pres. The DMP3 would be a nice addition to your mic pre collection. The RNP is a bit colored, although it was really nice. It didn't do it for my style of music. I later got a Sytek which I love! Great mic pre! Very clean and Transparent and has 4 channels. I also have the Brick and it's all tube. It sounds great also! Built like a tank and has a great DI and not to mention a full, round sound from the warmth of the tubes. The Rane MS 1B i hear is one of the best budget mic pres out there...although i've nevered used it, quite a bit of them has said great things about it. And also the Safe Sound P1 which is 499.00 with a mic pre, compressor, expander and limiter. I hear that it sound great also. If you so try weighing them out what would be best suited for your applications. Any of those have been highly recommended by many.

Check out the Sytek, a pretty decent 4 channel pre that can be had on Ebay for around 700.00, add a bit for the BB channels. If you can swing 1000.00, look into my fav pre, a John Hardy M1.

Sorry to hijack, but...

I am looking at these same preamps. For a TLM 103 and a couple others, which of these would best complement the digi002 pres?

I just went out tonight and tried a bunch of different pres. The winner for me was the Presonus Eureka. The next most appealling to my ears was the Focusrite 2ch, followed by the BRICK. I tried a MXL-990, MXL 2001, and AT 4033 on all of them. I was gonna try another mic or 2, but the place was busy and I could tell what was happening for me already. The ART and M-Audio stuff just didn't stack up in my ears. As much as I would have liked 2ch, the Eureka just had a very pleasing quality to it, and the compressor sounds real nice. Overall, I felt it was the best unit for my needs. I must say, however, that the BRICK was HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!! That thing has some balls!! So, its off to rearrange my rack and start tracking.............

the topaz is a good start. i wouldnt waste money on more budget pre's like the dmp3 and eureka. id go for a sytek or great river.

gemsbok said:
the topaz is a good start. i wouldnt waste money on more budget pre's like the dmp3 and eureka. id go for a sytek or great river.
this is good advise.

if you can save 300 more bucks you can get into a great river.
trust me, it is fully worth it.

So are you guys saying that unless I reach up into the $1000 range, I won't see any real improvement over the pres that are in my Topaz??? Because if thats the case, I would take the Eureka back and pick up a good mic instead...

Back