Need help buying an older amp for nearfileds, what do you reccommend?

mrsm57

Need help buying an older amp for nearfields, what do you reccommend?

HI,
Just bought the Yorkville ysm1's. I can't afford $200 to spend on an amp right now, so I thought I could pick up something used on ebay. Besides the samson, what are some amps to look for? Model numbers too please. Thanks!

Last edited:
You're dyin' here. Must support a YSM user.
I have YSM's too. Love 'em. Not perfect, but they translate well and are a great value. I use a Samson for loud stuff (not the most detailed amp, but cheap) or a Cambridge Audio amp..very detailed, not much power.
Here's my quick cheap amp list:
Bryston 2B (Well built, smooth, great bass)
Hafler TA1100 (One on ebay now for $91, lists for $199
NAD 2200 (Also on ebay now)
Adcom 535, 545 - Some RAP users swear by these...for the price
CROWN D60 (I don't like the sound as much as the others above, but you can buy it now at ebay for $125)

And don't be afraid of looking for a good quality home hi-fi amp, that's what I did. And of course, listen B4 you buy! That's the down side of eBay. An amp/speaker combo is a synergy. My Cambridge amp balances the sins (not that it has any) of the YSM's. Tames the sometimes lumpy upper-bass and the combo images wonderfully. Good Hunting!

THANKS MANDO AND DARRIN!

I am still using an ancient traynor mixer/amp, I will look up your sugggestions! The hafler ta1100 looks good, but bidding for these usually ends at around $175 - not a great deal when the amp sells new for $199. I may just wait and get the hafler - thanks for the posts!

Back