need help & advise

soundmaster

#1. Does anyone know if there is any guitar terch wesites, I have some bass pickups that are making too much noise.

#2. Does anybody know if you can restore guitar strings, sounds like a stupid question.
Anyway is this imposibile, posibal.

Re #2:
When a buddy of mine was broke, but gigging a lot, he would boil his bass strings every week (or more often) to get a little longer life out of them. It broke down the accumulated crud, and livened them up a bit.
You've got to make sure they don't rust, though - dry them thoroughly with a towel, then air dry with a hair dryer.
Don't know how well this will work with guitar strings (they're a *lot* cheaper than bass strings, though, so I'm not really sure why you'd want to do it...).

Mike

Try out elixer strings, they have a nice gore-tex covering and will last a long time.

Don't call Ed Roman for tech advise. He will bite your head off. Search the web. But most stuff is kept in books you have to buy.

H2H

when Ed Roman needs help

or parts or tools he calls Stewart - Macdonald www.stewmac.com

(I don't know if he would call for help) but stewmac is one of the most respected shops in the world, and the largest luthier supply shop. there's a lot of tips at the web site also.

TX

Hi there

I allready replied to your post but then logged back in this morning and realised hmmmm i did not answer question 2
I think question one is pretty well answered but for 2 i see it this way there aint no comprimising on guitar strings you can leave them on a guitar for a short or long period playing and care are the factors here if you play the guitar like there is no tomorrow well your strings will loose their brightness and become overstreched in time there is no drama playing this way :-) but it only means you will be changing strings more often.

From the way its sounding with your strings i think they will be pretty well carbon dated by now so that 5 or 10 bucks you spend down at the guitar store will be well worth it in the long run if you dont play the guitar real hard and you keep the strings wiped down after each playing session iam sure you will get a good 3 to 6 months out off them at that stage you can change them again

I know some may say 6 months what but it all comes down to how much you play them and how you take care of them.

I have 10 guitars in my collection not all get played all the time so i spend a few months with 2 at a time depending on the sounds im playing with its fun and when you go back to the other guitars you aint seen for ages hehehe rediscovery time again like when you first took it home and played it for hours on end :-)

Where strings are concerned there are many types many guages for alot of different styles i personally prefer GHS nickle rockers in 9/46 or 9/42 guage i get that nice vintage sparkle with them and they are well worth it to me because they allow my vintage guitars to sound the way they were intended.

Id say knowing nothing about what you play or your sound a set of d,adiario 10/46,s is a pretty safe place to start they feel nice and are not to hard to bend or play on a good all round string for the price

Strings have come along way and unlike guitars i feel strings have got better in time if i compare the strings i am using now to what i was using at 15 there aint no comparison they are miles ahead these days.

Iam not sure if you have played this guitar of yours in a while or what it even is but if the guitar is nice and is maybe worthy of some tweaking then a trip to see a good guitar tech or luthier will do wonders for you iam sure someone in this forum could direct you iam from australia so i cant assist you much here other then the ed romans address i left for you above h2h ( hard to hear) has a lot of good stuff to say he has been real nice to me as well in these forums iam sure he could even lead you to a good guitar tech anyway enough said from me till next time see yas

Wayne
Melbourne Australia

In relation to Ed Roman ive never personally dealt with him but what he says on his site makes alot of sense essp about vintage guitars and the pitfalls into buying them i usually give this site url out so people can read and maybe have somewhere to ground their thoughts on the subject i know what he had to say only confirmed alot of what i knew already about vintage guitars and the characters you bump into when trying to buy the real deal

One must remember yes if you are ringing a shop for free advice all the time and wanting to chew the fat without bringing some business in alot of shops may be a little short with you but its all in the approach.

It usually helps if you write down clearly what you want to ask before you go asking this allows the person to advise you and give you direct feedback to what you are asking about.
then get about doing his own business r u n n i n g h i s s h o p

eg Hi there I own an old guitar its an ibanez silver series stratocaster copy its not been played in years and the guitar was given to me or i bought it cheap whatever the story is i am a beginer and dont have a great load of funds could you please give me some pointers on how or where i should start with getting this guitar up to scratch ive found when i was a kid this approach worked fine. I even met a few nice people who assisted me and became life long associates and friends too.

But if i had talked the guys ear off about the latest greatest everything i could not afford and then said to him ahhhh can i fix up my old strings again and save on buying new ones what do you think he might say ??...... :eek: :confused:

Shops are busy places and unlike B I G GUITAR COMPANIES who only sell instruments to shops and give scant customer service on parts and after sales service shops have tighter margins to work with the bulk of the cash going to those who make the guitars etc ahhhhh think of the big two they always talk about first letter f****r the other company starting with a g****n
Yes thats right you may have guessed well i have many horror stories i can tell you about both and essp the wonderfull distributor who has the contract for the later company starting with g :-) out here in Australia after sales service and assistance on parts does not happen I know im still trying to get reissue mini humbucker surrounds for 60,s epiphone guitars yes they do make them ive seen these on some of their models they have out in their current range and there is a difference between the epiphone black surrounds and the cream coloured surrounds that were found on 69 L*S P@- YOU- ELL,s running mini humbuckers

think about it a moment :-) yep thats the guitar im refering too :-) 10/10 ;-)))

Anyway in closing try a basic approach to shops i feel this is the best way to get things done and people will listen to you i sometimes ask questions on recording mixing and what equipment is best in other forums some of the feedback is good some very average but hey im a newbie and asking stuff like this only assists me on my quest to oneday owning nice equipment i can use well so dont be affraid to ask there is always someone out here to assist overall homerecording.com is a great place indeed anyway thats it from me :-) see ya all

wayne
Melbourne Australia

Back