need help!!!!!!!!1

matt_smells

hi. i just bought a fostex xr5, 2nd hand i dont have a manual or previous xperience but want to get started recording . i have a mic, stand, headphones etc , have read the basic pointers of homerecordings and am fully prepared. my questions are...do i just plug in and record each track, not worrying about levels then simply mix it through the master channell afterwards?, how do i get it to a standard cassette to listen to, can i plug the machine to a regular stereo via the stereo outputs , play it and hit record on the tape deck?? also.afew little queries on terms....do i set the "rec sel" switch to the track i am recording..., what does the fb and ch mean on the aux select (above each track)...puch in/out socket????whats it for??....finally, do i use a standard blank cassette/will it work if it already has music on it???
id deeply appreciate it if some of the above is answered, sorry for the question overload>>matt

first advice. Read past threads here.. Theres alot of people on here that know alot about recording..

"do i just plug in and record each track, not worrying about levels then simply mix it through the master channell afterwards?"

Well you need to get the best levels to tape you can on each individual track that you record.. Then , at mixdown adjust the playback levels ,pan and eq for the stereo mixdown....

"how do i get it to a standard cassette to listen to, can i plug the machine to a regular stereo via the stereo outputs , play it and hit record on the tape deck??"

That will work fine..

"finally, do i use a standard blank cassette/will it work if it already has music on it???"

Use a good NEW tape.. A four track cassette recorder uses the the whole width of the tape for 4 tracks...

matt_smells said:

...finally, do i use a standard blank cassette/will it work if it already has music on it???
id deeply appreciate it if some of the above is answered, sorry for the question overload>>matt

Use new high bias tapes if your machines have settings for it - it might help cut down on tape hiss, since you're going from tape to tape.

i have been working on it today. and figured a lot out by just messing about with it ..thanks for the advice though..i will keep everything in mind..

Back