Need headphone recommendations.

EFaaT

Yes, I know you're not supposed to mix with headphones, BUT 1.) I did a some damage to my hearing back in the 70's and 80's, 2.) I'm getting old, 3.) I only have KRK Rokit6 monitors, and 4.) I have a much better time of hearing instrument placement in a mix with headphones that you younger and/or undamaged audiophiles can hear with speakers. When I watch tutorial videos and they make changes to settings I typically can't hear the difference, except with headphones. My bass reflex Rokits give a falsely good bass response that doesn't replicate well to other systems so I have to compensate for that.

Anyway, since time marches on and I'm not getting any younger, nor do I ever expect this to anything more than a hobby, I've decided to break this rule and get a nice pair of headphones.

I'm looking at the Sennheiser HD650. Sweetwater has them for $500. Sony MDR-7520 for $400. Shure SRH1840 for $700. Would anyone care to comment either from experience with these sets, or make other recommendations.

Thank you in advance.

Without getting into the "mixing with headphones" thing that you're already aware of, if I needed to use a set of headphones for reference, I'd probably be looking at Grado SR225's. If you want to spend more, there are more expensive and even better Grado phones. But IMO, there's a point of diminishing returns - and that point is the SR225's.

Without getting into the "mixing with headphones" thing that you're already aware of, if I needed to use a set of headphones for reference, I'd probably be looking at Grado SR225's. If you want to spend more, there are more expensive and even better Grado phones. But IMO, there's a point of diminishing returns - and that point is the SR225's.
well ..... yeah they sound pretty good but they're not that comfortable for long periods and they're not exactly neutral usually being described as 'dark' sounding.
I have a pair of the Sennheiser HD600s which are similar to the newer 650's ..... they're FAR more comfortable than my Grados which I rarely use anymore and I'd say far more neutral also.

Bang for the buck you can get a set of Audio Technica ATH AD700's for 99 bucks and they sound suprisingly similar to my Sennheisers.

And I also think that the conventional wisdom about mixing on headphones needs to be rethought, considering that most people listen to their music on earbuds these days.

Beware of the "Dark"!
As the OP says he is getting on, like me and rather mutton (c'est moir), it is the HF that goes first pretty much always so brighter than average cans would be worth seeking out.

Dave.

And I also think that the conventional wisdom about mixing on headphones needs to be rethought, considering that most people listen to their music on earbuds these days.
If you could guarantee that no one would ever listen on anything but headphones, that could make sense. Until then, "shooting for the mud" never really works out.

Ive had SONY 7506 for many years, liked them (and they sell the replacement cushions cheap)
.....but I got a second pair over the past year or two and these are lighter weight, floppy- poor seal to the ears, and have a flimsy feel as if the change is cheapened them; they seem to have been "cost engineered" downward in quality.

I'm with NotCardio. I don't think it's best to mix strictly on headphones but they are a good reference. I also use the beyerdynamics dt 770 Pro 80ohm. I use m-audio bx8a's with some decent acoustic treatment and some crappy pc speakers. Admittedly, I am a noob so I like having a couple different speakers to reference.

It's been less than 24 hours that I've been researching headphones. I've only been computer-composing for 2 months, so I'm still using my Logitech headphones - the ones I bought for Skyping. Now that I'm thinking seriously about where my music is going, I need 'phones that tell me the truth about my mix.

Had an acquaintance suggest BeatsbyDre... looked for them online and then called around for some place I could get a demo. And then the sales associate gave me his opinion. (He also dabbles in computer-composing.)

Pretty sure I know what your opinions will be. ;) Would still like to hear them. Also, being knew to the industry, this is the first I've heard of the 'conventional wisdom about mixing on headphones'. But it makes a lot of sense. Could someone briefly explain it? Is it like an unwritten rule of recording? Is there somewhere I can study up on stuff like that? (edit: I found another thread talking about the subject of mixing with headphones.)

I was advised to go
Sennheiser...

It's been less than 24 hours that I've been researching headphones. I've only been computer-composing for 2 months, so I'm still using my Logitech headphones - the ones I bought for Skyping. Now that I'm thinking seriously about where my music is going, I need 'phones that tell me the truth about my mix.

Had an acquaintance suggest BeatsbyDre... looked for them online and then called around for some place I could get a demo. And then the sales associate gave me his opinion. (He also dabbles in computer-composing.)

Pretty sure I know what your opinions will be. ;) Would still like to hear them. Also, being knew to the industry, this is the first I've heard of the 'conventional wisdom about mixing on headphones'. But it makes a lot of sense. Could someone briefly explain it? Is it like an unwritten rule of recording? Is there somewhere I can study up on stuff like that? (edit: I found another thread talking about the subject of mixing with headphones.)

I was advised to go
Sennheiser...

In my opinion, Sennheiser beats "Beats" anyday. Beats' headphones are overpriced to me considering the technical specifications and all that. Many people on the forum would recommend you to get the Sennheiser HD280,just like how they recommended me. Have fun!

Cheers,
Darren

In my opinion, Sennheiser beats "Beats" anyday. Beats' headphones are overpriced to me considering the technical specifications and all that. Many people on the forum would recommend you to get the Sennheiser HD280,just like how they recommended me. Have fun!

Cheers,
Darren
reviews on the beats aren't very positive. They have a hyped bottom end and that's not what you want for studio work or evaluating mixes.

''reviews on the beats aren't very positive. They have a hyped bottom end and that's not what you want for studio work or evaluating mixes''

Awful headphones and you are 110% right the worst cans you could buy for studio work.

I am a little odd thou as I use sennheiser HD25's..... i know they have quite a strong lowmid and maybe a tad to bright high end but for ears they feel right and work within my needs.
Again with all sound equipment IE speakers, headphones and what mic sounds better than A or B etc its what you like and what suits you that counts.

Just because i find the BEATS pretty poor some my love them and maybe completely disagree

If you could guarantee that no one would ever listen on anything but headphones, that could make sense. Until then, "shooting for the mud" never really works out.

Frankly, for this to work it couldn't just be everyone listening on headphones--they'd all have to be on the SAME headphones considering the differences I hear on various ear buds and cans.

If you can get a good mix on decent monitors, it'll sound okay on pretty well any headphones. The opposite doesn't apply.

As for a choice of headphones, if it was me, I'd go with a set of Sennheiser HD280s. I find them comfortable over long sessions and that they provide a good, neutral sound.

A very close second for me would be the Grados that Massive Master mentioned. I've used them in the past and only replaced them because they were stolen--I was looking for another pair needing something that day and substituted the Sennheisers when I couldn't find the Grados in stock--and have now come to love the Sennheiser.

I'm not a personal fan of the Beyer Dynamics--I find them very hard to wear and a very coloured sound, but everyone is different.

I have a pair of Sony 7506s that I use for live work...they have enough level to be able to check a channel even in a loud room but they're not the most accurate or comfortable headset out there.

Back