need foam for monitor bag

travelin travis

i want to make a bag for toting some small monitors and i need some foam to line it with. i was thinking of using a couple of pieces of pegboard type board (masonite?), some foam, and a duffle bag. flat, convoluted, whatever would be fine. i prefer black but it's not a deal breaker. where can i find foam locally? or mail order? think hot glue would secure the foam to the board and bag?

my idea was to put a piece of the thin board covering the bottom of the bag and cover it with foam. the monitors would rest on their sides directly on this board/foam with drivers from each cab facing each other. the sides of the bag would be lined with foam and a board/foam divider would separate the monitors. the top of the bag would also be lined with foam. everything would be hot glued. any ideas are welcomed. cables, headphones, mikes, and recording interface would go in the pockets of the bag.

What kind of monitors are they??? Depending on how far outward the edge of the woofers reside, it may not be a good idea to have them on their sides with the speakers facing each other.

I think the overall concept is pretty good though. Here's what I would do.
I would basically construct (using 1/4" Masonite or pegboard (because of its lightweight), a double box. The idea being that you can lay the two monitors on their backs, with the woofers facing up. You would lay them end to end.

Imagine you are looking down into your duffel bag, the box would look like this. The box would be one piece, with a center divider. The bottoms and each wall will be lined with something along the lines of 2" studio foam.

<------Length of the Duffel Bag-------->
| | | |
----------------------------------------

The walls of the box should go up about an inch or so higher than the highest portion of the speaker. Then, there is a lid more or less over the entire thing, that way if for some reason something gets put on top of this (within reason, considering it's masonite), it won't crush the speakers. Does any of this even make sense??

You can get foam at a crafts store, just cut it with a electric turkey carving knife. You can get various thicknesses and various densities, look for Joanne Fabrics, maybe a Hobby Lobby, or a Hancroft Fabrics. Its made for chairs or sofas, stuff like that.

89gtsleeper, i get what your saying but that drawing makes no sense to me. lol. the monitors are tascam vlx5s. the woofer surround protrudes maybe 1/8" to 3/16", not much. i'd like to eliminate the boards altogether and use hard foam to protect all sides of the cabs but use soft foam for the face of the cabs, if i can find hard foam. otherwise i think your idea would work well. i just don't want to add too much weight. i definitely want to keep it under 50 lbs. and the cabs are already at 34 lbs. for both. i know the pegboard stuff wouldn't be very heavy but hard foam would be lighter and probably do a better job than the soft foam and board. dimensions for each cab is 7.79" X 11.45" X 11.41". SRR, i'll check the fabric and hobby stores. thanks for the input fellows.

Well the faom really will weigh almost mothing in this case. I ordered a whole room full of foam that was packed VERY VERY VERY tightly together and was a 4 foot cube, and it weighed maybe 25 lbs. And the amount of masonite also would probably only add another five lbs at most. I think you could stay under 50 lbs total. But yes, the foam only would work too. You might also just check a bedding supply store and see if they have any throw away pieces of foam, or something you could buy cheaply.

all i could find locally was a foam bed pad at wally world or target. i got a 36" x 72" from wally world for $10. i think i'm going to ditch the bag idea and just use one of those plastic storage boxes. everything would fit in that easily and would be pretty well protected. thanks for the ideas 89 and SRR.

Back