Need Firebox and DMP3 help

deone

Thanks for your reading.

I am a beginner in recording and just bought some gears: Firebox interface, AT3035 mic and DMP3 preamp (at first I thought the preamps of Firebox is enough but later I decided to buy the DMP3).

I want to sing alive with my friends online. But how can I do internal recording like recording "stereo mix" which mixes the instrumental song with my voice in real time?
I tried to use SPDIF cable to route "SPDIF out" to "SPDIF in" but even if I use SPDIF clocking source, the firebox could not sync with itself. Is there anything I am missing?
Another possible solution may be routing the "OUT 3/4" to "LINE IN 3/4". I have not tried this but from some previous post it is said that SPDIF routing will achieve better sound quality?

I am more willing to hook DMP3 to the "LINE IN 3/4" port on firebox instead of its mic preamp to avoid stacking gain. However, if I routing the "OUT 3/4" to "LINE IN 3/4", I have to hook DMP3 to the mic preamp of firebox. So I prefer SPDIF routing, although I have not figured out how to do that.

But if I can hook DMP3 to "LINE IN 3/4", should I just use a standard 1/4 TRS TO 1/4 TRS cable and connect DMP3 to one of the two ports say "LINE IN 3" and do mono recording? If I have to stack gain, does it affect much in recording quality?
Thank you:)

Yi

You should be able to use a trs->trs cable from one of the 1/4" outputs on the DMP3 to either line input 3 or 4 on the Firebox.
Set your Firebox to sync internally (default mode).

Your current setup does not allow for a spdif connection between the Firebox and the DMP3.
Do not worry about stacking gain, it's the least of your worries at this point, just concentrate on getting the basics understood.

Thank you for your reply.
Actually I want to connect the spdif out of firebox to its spdif in to achieve internal recording (I don't know the exact term). But the firebox can not sync with itself. Is there anyone tried that?

you want to connect the SPDIF out from the firebox to the SPDIF in of the firebox? What are you hoping to accomplish with this. I don't think it will do anything because you are sending out from the same device as your input? That doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm not 100% clear what you're trying to do. Are you getting some backing tracks (i.e. instrumentals) and singing along? What software are you using to record? What's wrong with just plugging the 3035 straight into the firebox's pres? What's wrong with using the 1/4 inch cables to connect the DMP3 to the firebox?

I think you're making this a little more complicated than it has to be.

you want to connect the SPDIF out from the firebox to the SPDIF in of the firebox? What are you hoping to accomplish with this. I don't think it will do anything because you are sending out from the same device as your input? That doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm not 100% clear what you're trying to do. Are you getting some backing tracks (i.e. instrumentals) and singing along? What software are you using to record? What's wrong with just plugging the 3035 straight into the firebox's pres? What's wrong with using the 1/4 inch cables to connect the DMP3 to the firebox?

I think you're making this a little more complicated than it has to be.

Thank you. Yes, I am getting some backing tracks and want to singing along alive (not recording, though I also do some recording but it is not the question here). I am using a software somewhat like Skype to talk and sing with my friends in real time. It can only use the firebox 1/2 mic in, 3/4 line in or 5/6 spdif in as a sound source. Of course the software itself can mixing my voice with the backing tracks but there is a terrible delay in my voice (I dont know why because there is no delay when I was using my old laptop with integrated soundcard and headsets). So I am thinking of mixing by firebox directly and send the mixed sound to the software.
Firebox can do some mixing but it will only send the mixed sound to the "OUT" jacks or headphones jack. And I don't know how to capture the mixed "OUT" sound in my computer without connecting the "OUT" jacks to the "IN" jacks.
Yes I am plugging the 3035 straight into the firebox's pres NOW but the pres do not provide enough gain for me so I want to use a external preamp.
If the SPDIF out/in jacks routing do not work, I have to use the line out/in jacks to achieve zero delay mixing and broadcasting and I will not be able to connect my DMP3 to the line in jacks of firebox. That is my problem. Thanks.

Firebox should have a latency setting somewhere in it's software or possibly on the unit. Set the latency as short as possible without getting lots of clicks. That should get rid of your delay. Also there could be some latency with the Skype thing you're using. But I'd suspect your firebox latency is very high.

Back