Need Feedback on 'Hey'...

1st thing I notice, the kick is horrible. It really needs a crisp regular kick. Not an 808. The bassline is very nice. The "Hey" sample is a bit overused, imo. Use it sporadically and you'll get a better impact with it. The melody is sitting too far behind the bassline, and the overall mix is off. But it's a good beat, just needs better drums.

The kick is actually a live drum kick that was recorded inside a bassdrum, here is the recipe for that kick...Compression Ratio: 6:1, Attack: 3ms, Release: 200ms, Threshold: 8dB gain reduction...pretty respectable combination...The one thing that I didn't do that a lot of cats do is add a 'click' to it but I did that on purpose...well I tried it with it first and it sounded a little too clean for me compared to the rest of the song. Anyway, I have room for adjustment on the settings and I will play around with it but I don't think it will get much attention after the vocals go down.

I agree that the "hey" sample is too repetative, that will be fixed as well as the 'melody'. Speaking of the melody...it's alot 'brighter' in the original recording @ .AIFF, it definately lost alot on converting it to mp3 first and then even more @ 128kbs blah blah blah...Im babbling now, I'll post the finished product when it's done for futher feedback.

Thanks for your input, perception means alot!
dac

nice flayva! like to hear that go go sprinkled in like that . .. it was never my ting to hear go go but when its just a touh, its good for me . .

:eek:what? :confused:huh?:confused: C.Va. and not a go go fan? Life wouldn't be the same without Chuck Brown, Trouble Funk, EU, Rare Essence...nah j/k bro :D, go go wasn't for everybody even back when it was at it's prime but being born in DC kinda made it your own personal music. I mean it was kinda like it told everybody where you were from without even saying it...lol. If you were rocking some go go everybody knew you were from DC or the surrounding area.

Thanks for the feedback gully, I'm really trying to make this beat work. One of my dudes is gonna drop some lines on it and I'm gonna tweak it, freak it, and add everything I can to make this one fire. My goal was to be as original as possible without sampling. I actually think that I could get away with not using the "Hey hey" sampple at all but it's the title of the song so I had to drop it in. The final product will show how the "Hey hey" sample fits in. My dude was kicking it as a response to something he was spitting...(i.e. When I drove up to the spot my peeps were like "Hey hey hey hey", when the beat dropped in the club they said "Hey hey hey hey"). Not those words exactly but something to that flavor.

dac

Noddy I grew up on Ft. Totten Dr. NE very close to the sub station, then we moved about 4 miles away over on Oneida St. NW not far from Riggs Plaza. Then I moved around a bit, spent a couple years up in Far Rockaway Queens (beach 20 for the NYCers). Then I moved down south to Asheville NC and from there to Fayetteville NC. My parents moved from NW out to Capital Heights, MD a little over a year ago.

dac

the beat is sick, diggin the samples too. thats bass line is the shit, how do you get such warm tones? I think the kick is not bad, at least on these speakers, i actually think with a better snare it could help the kick out, just my thought though.

Thanks liv_rong, I appreciate it...I've come to learn that when you ask for "feedback", your subjecting your beat to the mercy of the critics system and settings while under the assumption that everybodys system is pretty much equal. Youre also asking for an opinion and we all know everybody has their own. In all actuality, your beat should be made to sound decent on any system so its one of those "it is what it is" kinda situations.

Surely nobody would put a kick or anything else on a beat that they thought was just crap...lol. It's just a matter of opinion but thats exactly what I asked for and got. I do respect everybodies opinion though, I want to hear what they are hearing and feeling. My settings could be off, I dunno!?! What I normally do is check other reviews to see how that critic responds to other producers beats and that will tell me alot about them.

With that said, thanks again my brah,

dac

yeah dude, I dont think the kick is bad at all, I was just saying a better snare would compliment it more. The beat is sick though, dont worry about what a couple people said about the kick hahaha. In reality, its damn fine work all around

Noddy I grew up on Ft. Totten Dr. NE very close to the sub station, then we moved about 4 miles away over on Oneida St. NW not far from Riggs Plaza. Then I moved around a bit, spent a couple years up in Far Rockaway Queens (beach 20 for the NYCers). Then I moved down south to Asheville NC and from there to Fayetteville NC. My parents moved from NW out to Capital Heights, MD a little over a year ago.

dac

Tru, so ur an uptown gooney eh???
Im from SE Barry Farms..
But now Im off of Alabama Avenue on 23rd St. SE

Noddy thats whats good! Holmzzzzz! NE, SE it's all 50 square miles of chocolate...lol.

Thanks again liv!

dac

Back