need drumming inspiriation?

if so, then listen to these bands:

mahavishnu orchestra

meshuggah

opeth

intronaut

pat metheny group (since antonio sanchez joined especially)

fredrik thordendal's special defects (or mats/morgan band if you can't find it)

dillinger escape plan

bill bruford's earthworks

mastadon

tool (like you didn't already know that)

and, of course, motley crue and metallica.

just kidding on the last 2, in case you didn't know.

Drossfile, you aren't by chance a member over at the pearl drummers forum are you? that kit of yours looks awfully familiar.

Drossfile, you aren't by chance a member over at the pearl drummers forum are you? that kit of yours looks awfully familiar.

nah, those are tamas my friend! or are you talking about the exports i'm playing in my profile pic? those actually belong to someone else--that pic was taken at jamfest in july down at jpw's place in kentucky.

if you're referring to my video in the other thread, those are the starclassic performers i just bought last year. i had originally set out to get pearl masters, but there's a whole long story that goes along with it, documented right here on this website over 2 years ago!!! :eek:

ermghoti and elton bear know all about it.

hmm... well i dunno i'd thought i'd seen the kit in your video over at the PDF but apparently not. as a tama fan, i must say those starclassics are gorgeous.

hey, if the crue and alcoholica made the list, there's gotta be some acdc on there too. besides, if you don't have a sense of humor, you're on the wrong forum.

yeah i caught that. just a simple response.

and drossfile, i could very well be mistaken. i know i've seen quite a few in that finish though, but i think most of them were waaaaaay smaller sizes... much like i'd be inclined to play on..... 8 10 12 14 16 22 or 20 typically.

Yes sir!!!! My first teacher made me listen to Billy Cobham and I thank him for it now all these years later.

dude, that guy is an animal. i owe more to him than perhaps any other for my aspirations to style. pushing the limits of human ability, sweating like an ape, annoying fans of traditional music, and loving every minute.

dude, that guy is an animal. i owe more to him than perhaps any other for my aspirations to style. pushing the limits of human ability, sweating like an ape, annoying fans of traditional music, and loving every minute.

Yeah, he can do a single stroke roll on a bucket of water faster than anyone can do a press roll on a wooden table. Sick!

yeah i caught that. just a simple response.

and drossfile, i could very well be mistaken. i know i've seen quite a few in that finish though, but i think most of them were waaaaaay smaller sizes... much like i'd be inclined to play on..... 8 10 12 14 16 22 or 20 typically.

my kit:

8x8
10x9
12x10
14x12
16x14
18x16
22x18

the finish is tama's blue galaxy fade, and the snare is a mapex black panther premium 14x6.5

There just ain't no such thing.............

as the best drummer around anymore.
When I first started, there were only a few "special" drummers that you could really look at and get greatly inspired, but now.......... there are just so many phenomenal drummers out there working that you can get either discouraged or enthralled. And it's in all genres of music too.
When I began it was pretty much ONLY jazz drummers that had the "licks", but in the last 40 years that has changed........... a lot.
As a style, I still love jazz the best, but I listen to a lot of stuff that I may not like the style of music, but I say: DAMN that drummer is KICKIN'!

Billy Cobham is awesome BTW. I've had a chance to see him live a few times (most recently about five years ago here in Huntington) He lives in Switzerland, but he does get back here to play shows once in a while. His alternating playing right hand/left hand ride and snare accents will boggle your mind.
I'm also a big fan of Jeff Tain Watts, Brian Blade, Dennis Chambers, Carter Beauford,
Steve Gadd (of course), Sunny Murray (for a very unique and interesting use of drums musically), Steve Smith (I never really liked Journey, but I really like his playing), Gregg Bisonette and Vinnie Colautta. Terri Lynn Carrington is a recent favorite of mine with what she's been doing with Herbie Hancock.
This is just a small list, because there are just so many others. I think that in the future people will look back at now and the last 3 decades as the "golden age" of drumming.

as the best drummer around anymore.
When I first started, there were only a few "special" drummers that you could really look at and get greatly inspired, but now.......... there are just so many phenomenal drummers out there working that you can get either discouraged or enthralled. And it's in all genres of music too.
So true. Besides the jazz greats, until about the 80's, there were a handful that a drum teacher might tell you to listen to. Then "Fusion" came along, with Mahavishnu and Return to Forever, etc....Now, there are great drummers in every genre, and many of them.

You just said that. :eek: I have no idea why I had to repeat it. I guess I just had to re-affirm it. :)

You just said that. :eek: I have no idea why I had to repeat it. I guess I just had to re-affirm it. :)

Because we're all like a bunch of guys at a bar B-S-ing about stuff we like. In between we show each other shit.

Back