need big help ASAP!!! File Won't Open!

Johnalex

Hello,

I am curently working at a studio that uses Cakewalk Sonar 4. We have a 4 day long session, and are on the morning of day 4, just have a few things left to do. I have been saving the session as I have been going along, but all of the sudden today, this morning. I am geting an error that says

"The file you are trying to open is not compatible with this version of SONAR"

Does anyone know of anything I can do to get this session open? I need it bad! 3 days of work will be lost!

System:

Pentium 4
Windows XP

Tascam FW-1884
Sonar 4.0.1

Bummer, dude. Have you tried all the typical re-boot stuff? Have you tried opening it by finding the session and double clicking, and then doing the open file from within Sonar, and also the recent docs from within Sonar?
Sorry, probably not much help, but good luck man. :o

Johnalex said:
Hello,

I am curently working at a studio that uses Cakewalk Sonar 4. We have a 4 day long session, and are on the morning of day 4, just have a few things left to do. I have been saving the session as I have been going along, but all of the sudden today, this morning. I am geting an error that says

"The file you are trying to open is not compatible with this version of SONAR"

Does anyone know of anything I can do to get this session open? I need it bad! 3 days of work will be lost!

System:

Pentium 4
Windows XP

Tascam FW-1884
Sonar 4.0.1

If the files you are trying to open were created on the same or older version of Sonar, there is no reason I know of why they would not open. If your copy of Sonar is legit and registered, call their tech help line. They will get you all set up pretty quick.

To avoid file problems in the future, occasionally save your working files as .prj files in another file folder, delete the orginals, and re-open the .prj's. this re-organizes the data and makes it easier for your computer to work with them. This also helps you avoid droputs and speeds up loading time.

So you are using the same version of sonar all the time?Old versions are compatable with new meaning you can import or open up an older project with a new version of sonar but the reverse is not true. You can't open up a project started with newer sonar on an older version. Can we have a little more detail? Something is weird. Can you at least go and find the wave files?

John, I don't have good news for you. I wish I did. I've lost several projects over the years to this error message following a corrupt file save. I know the problem only too well ... as I have a tendency to push my system.

Did this error message follow a Sonar program "freeze up"? Usually that's what predicated my corruption, but not always.

The first time this happened to me, I had at least 400 man hours into a project ... with a backup that had been saved at about 100 hours. It was a nightmare.

Since, I've taken "backing up" out of my feeble hands ... literally. I bought an external drive, and it came w/ an auto-backup application. Now, every night at 11pm, my songfile folder is auto-saved, and any changes that I've made to any files are automatically duped, so that I don't have to remember to remember.

Even so, there is a "challenge" involved here too ... for if I don't discover the file has been corrupted by 11pm, then it is the corrupt file that overwrites the "good" one.

Still, the procedure/protocol has saved my behind more than once since.

I wish there was an immediate solution. I do not believe there is.

Best of luck,

Kev-

K-dub said:
Even so, there is a "challenge" involved here too ... for if I don't discover the file has been corrupted by 11pm, then it is the corrupt file that overwrites the "good" one.

Still, the procedure/protocol has saved my behind more than once since.

Kev

Sorry for a little hi-jack, but software packages, I don't know if it will be on this drive, but some cheap apps will do this... if you do incremental backups, and set it at say 7 days, you will have 7 versions of the file to work off.. which increases the changes of getting it back.

I recently got an external HDD for this exact reason and have it set at 4 and do a backup either once a week, or after a big day of recording/mixing.

Daniel

True, Dan. Actually the point should be made that a "separate" drive isn't needed ... getting a free backup application to simply save to a different folder automatically is a good idea.

Remember, usually (with this type of error), the audio files aren't corrupted, so the whole audio folder doesn't need to be backed up ... for they're fine. Therefore, all that's really needed is to make certain that the project file, itself, is duly protected ... which usually doesn't take up much addl space at all.

Kev-

K-dub said:
True, Dan. Actually the point should be made that a "separate" drive isn't needed ... getting a free backup application to simply save to a different folder automatically is a good idea.

True, but if the HDD fails... I've been close a couple of times (and i work in IT) and in both instances felt really bad until I got all/most of the data back :-) plus externally you can unplug so no power issues.

Just suggestions, not law :-)

Daniel

Again right on ... separate HDD is better. Backup on same drive is better than nothing.

Kev-

This is the kind of thing that turned me away from Sonar.........

All software has bugs but for me Sonar 4 had too many big time bugs.

Cubase baby!

Sorry to hear about your lost project. That's gotta hurt. Sorry I was'nt any help.

Back