need an amp

osion

i dont know if im posting in the right place, but i couldnt find an amp forum...

ok, i use a godin exit 22 guitar. i play mostly alternative/indie rock type music. been playing acoustic for last five years, recently switched to electric...
now i want an amp... at first i was looking at solid states because tubes intimidate me but i tried out a bunch of solid states under 500 dollars and i dont know, they didnt blow me away. so i figured i might as well check out tube amps... first of all are tube amps complicated to maintain? i dont know anything about the electronics, would i be able to change tubes and all that myself or would i need to go somewhere to do it?
so i want a good amp... i can go as high as 700 dollars.... right now i dont gig but i would like to so i need it to have decent power ( i was thinking 30-40 watts?)... and i would also like to use the amp as a practice amp at home, is that possible? because i have no experience with tube amps but i hear they get loud fast (we do rehearsal at a friends basement so loudness isnt a problem there but i live in an apartment). i want it to have a nice clean and nice warm distortion. i live in NYC so i should be able to try out most of the amps you suggest.... i've been reading up this past week and one amp that got really good reviews is traynor YCV40... let me know if any of you have experience with it.. thanks a lot guys, this site is awesome.

I own the YCV40 with the 2x10. It's an ok amp. Sound is inconsistant. Somedays it sounds great and other day I just wanna smash it into pieces and regret wasting money on it. I use a LP copy (agile) with SD JB custom in the bridge and a SD jazz in the neck. Cleans sound great. Bright switch really makes it chime. The overdrive channel is ok...a bit muddy for me, the notes aren't really defined. But I've just recently discovered a remedy for that. Just a stick a Boss Blues Driver in front of that and it fixes it right up! (Ha...took me 6 months to finally get one, and it was worth it.) I've heard others to switch out the stock tubes and getting a better overdrive, I have yet to replace my tubes so I can't really say. People also switch out the stock speaker for the celestion vintage 30's which I've heard to also make a nice improvement to the amp.(just things to consider) The overdrive aint' gonna get you some high gain stuff, just hard rock/blues, no metal. But I stick a metal zone and combine it with a bluesdriver or a distortion pedal and it sound great to me. That bluesdriver is a godsend, I starting to fall in love with this amp again.

Some problems I've run into while playing this on stage was that at volume level 4-5ish it starts to rattle. If you go to harmony central's reviews on this amp you can see others with the same problem. It rattles when you go for the low notes on the low E string. Especially when you hit an A. Kinda messes up your sound but sacrificing some lows while lessen that problem. Oh and for being a practice amp, especially in an apartment, forget about it. This things gets loud! I have it barely on 1 and it starts to shake the walls. I mean you could set it to like .4 and it's quiet but doesn't sound too great at that low of a volume. You should just pick up an small cheap practice amp for practicing at home Or you could go for the 20 watt traynors which I've heard is aslo good, but go for the red one with the Vintage30 speaker. Tubes amps sound better at louder volumes. For gigging I think it has enough power. I'm usually mic'ed up so my volume level is around 4-5ish sound I can use the amp as a monitor. And also there's a jack to plug into an extention cabniet if you need more power. So you could just plug it into a nice 4x12 cab and you'll have plently of volume.

This was my first tube amp and it's not too hard to take care of. Definitely a step up from solid states, there's warmth in the tone. I was in your position around the beginning of this year. Not knowing too much about tube amp and intimidated by them even. But there's isn't much to be. You just have to take care of them more. Like make sure that you let the tubes warm up a lil before you play. Always follow this procedure for turning on a tube amp: Power on>press standby switch, and after your done: standby switch>power off. And don't give the tubes a temperature shock, for example: after you've finished your gig, let the tube cool down before you take it outside especially in the winter weather. I was debating whether to get a traynor or a fender and decided to go with the tranyor b/c I got a good deal on one and also the overdrive is much better than a fender's. But the funny thing is I don't even use the overdrive. (just pedals into the clean channel) but the overdrive channel gives me another flavor of overdrive to mess around with.

My advice would be to keep researching and play around with as many amps as you can to see what you need (more overdrive, more distortion/hi-gain, or more clean, etc.). Don't make to rash of a decision and regret it. Just take your time. Traynors are good amps and for a $500 amp you get exactly that a $500 amp. Honestly if I were you and I was really serious about this then I would save up some more money and pick up a Fender twin or Vox AC15(or 30 if you need more power) or a Orange AD 15/12 or 30 (you should check these out too, very vox like and cheaper). The one's I've listed are over $1000, but I think if you're serious about this then rather getting a so-so amp, I think it would be better to wait and save some more cash to get a really NICE amp. But that's just my opinion.

Whew! I wrote a lot. My bad. Haha...I guess I had more to say then I thought. I just know what it's like to make a purchase like this, I've been there dude. Hope it helps.

thanks a lot tlee1183 for your reply... i really appreciate it... i would have responded sooner but i was away. it is a painful process because im not a "gear" person, buying gear makes me nervous. i just want to play. and throwing down 600-1000 on an amp, something i dont really know that much about is a bit scary. but i dont want to start with a "beginning" amp because ive been playing guitar for a long time and greatly enjoy it so i figure i might as well get a good amp the first time through. i am taking my time and reading up on it and testing stuff out. Its hard to test stuff because at stores my ears get tired fast and theres so much noise everwhere. i've been playing acoustic for five years and its just so easy, just pick and play, now its a bit intimidating. thanks for your thoughts on the YCV40, i really want to just get one amp, both for practice and for gigging but i realize that maybe an impossibility and ill just have to get two. ill have a look at the fender twin and tcv20. wish i could just find something and buy it and not think about it anymore. thanks again tlee1183, outlaw, and beloveless.

Look into Mesa/Boogie 1x12 combos.. You can get one for under a grand, they have great tone, and are freaking loud. They have a few different models depending on the sound you're looking for.

http://www.mesaboogie.com

This is not an amp you will outgrow. You can practice, record, and gig with it. When George McConnell started playing with Widespread Panic, he was on stage with a 57 in front of what looked like an old Mark IV.

Fender has quite a few tube amps under $1000. The Blues Junior is 15watt and sounds good loud and quiet. I think there are also Blues Devilles and HOt Rods in your price range that come in at 30 watts. Fender is good at mass producing good sounding amps at low prices.

I have bought and sold a lot of amps in the search for my tone. You could say I wasted a lot of money, but I don't think I would have understood why I ended up not liking the amp when I liked it enought to buy it. I think I have a better understanding of exactly what I look for in tone now.

I say the only way to figure out what you really want is to find an amp that feels right and sounds right in the store, buy it, and then when you find an amp in the future that does what you want, sell the old and get a new one. Eventually you will find what you are looking for and have a respect for why you like it.

I just saw a Gibson Goldtone on Ebay for $500, and if no bidders grab it at that price, it really is a steal,.... Class A, twin 10 stereo 15 watts per side, Vintage Celestions, and it will drive two external cabs with a tone to die for,... I know this because I have the predicessor, the Trace Eliott 'Velocette',. and am playing my Martin thru it with absolutely wonderful results,.... If you are seeking as true a depiction of your guitars sound,... then you might want to check one of those out,.... Gibson loved the tone so much,... that 5 years ago, they bought Trace Eliott, and had them making those amps for them with the Gibson name tag on them,..... I think since 2003 they are made here now,.... so if you can find one made in England,.... they freekin rock dude,...... absolutely the best tone I have ever heard for true sound of an instrument.....

Find a place that sells em, and try one,.... you will be amazed,...... $2500 new, so that ebay deal is a steal,.....

Just my opinion tho,.... you might not like how it makes you sound,........

:confused: :eek:

Steve

He is correct the Goldtone is a monster good amp. stays clean a long time befors biting you where you like it. Another excellent choice is a Fender Deville, does not stay clean as long but nice kick. A deluxe would also meet your needs

Back