need advice re. live recording...

Wil Davis

I have the opportunity to record a gig at the local library, and was looking for suggestions/tips/advice. The instruments are vibes, double-bass, drums.

I would normally go the unobtrusive route (2 x PZMs on the wall or floor, no mic stands to obstruct the view), but the library is open-plan, the only vertical surfaces being a few supporting pillars which have hollow-sounding casings around them, as well as not really having that much surface area.

I was thinking simple micing on the drums (2 overheads plus Beta 52 on the bass drum); 2 condensers on the vibes (either SM81, or C87-IIs), and a medium-sized condenser (C3000) on the bass, plus a direct-in from the small amp (GK-150MB) which the bassist might use.

I also have a matched pair of TC30ks which I could use either as overheads or on the vibes.

I have eight tracks available. The object is to make the best recording possible within the constraints of it being live.

Any (sensible) comments, ideas, suggestions?

Thanks in advance

- Wil

Ah, well - 30 views, and not one single comment - obviously a quiet day here on Home recording dot com - perhaps people were put off by my request for sensible ideas or suggestions - I'm sure people would have had no problem in coming up with some of the more trite recommendations - oh, well - thanks anyway - I'll come back again when it's time to know less...

:rolleyes:

- Wil

the condensor on the vibes are ok.

Recording bass with a condensor can be a bit risky, but when you mix the signal with th DI you can get some good results, it is worth the try.

When you say you got 8 inputs, you can use an extra mic on your drums, and I would defintely try to get your hands on another dynamic mike for your snare drum. If you don't want to use a 4th mike on your drums, I would go for 1 overhead, 1 snare mike and 1 bas drum mike. 2 overheads and only the bass isn't going to give the best balance you can get in the drums.

If you go for the last option, you could use the 8th mike as an ambience mike.

Back