need advice on upgrading my setup....where to spend the $$$

mplnckstrat

I plan on investing $1000 to upgrade my little recording setup, but I don't know where it would be best spent. First off, I should mention what I own:

Yamaha MG 16/6FX

Tascam DA-38

Tascam CDRW-700

Alesis CLX-440

Samson S-phone headphone amp

Event TR-8 monitors

AKG K-55 headphones (3)

Shure SM-57 (3)

Shure Beta 52

Shure SM-58 (2)

Samson CO2 condensers (2)

Marshall 2001 MXL-P

Sennheiser E-835

Proco 12 channel snake

Cables, etc....

The main thing to keep in mind is that I'm saving $250/month towards a Soundcraft Ghost, which is the board I want to go with. With that said, am I better off picking up a couple good mics (AT 4033 & better pr of SDC for overheads); a good mic and a RNP or similar pre-amp; another DA-38 to have 16tracks (I got my 1st one on ebay for $350 & paid $200 for it to be serviced, and its been great!); or do I need to upgrade my board before I get the Ghost?????

I record mainly rock and blues, and some acoustic guitar & vox.

I want to spend my money wisely, and just feel like I need a nudge. Questions I have running around in my head include wondering if the pres in my Yamaha board are good enough, and what decent mic will be a workhorse for me in multiple applications.....

And don't steer me toward the computer, I like having a board and rack setup, thanks. It just feels natural to me. The computer is for this stuff, and my rec equip is seperate, if you know what I mean....

Since you're getting a ghost, the pre situation will be handled, until you want to go up from there, which will cost big $$.

Mics. Your mic cabinet is weak. A pair of SDs. A nice vocal mic. Easy to spend $1,000 here, but that's where I'd put the money for now.

Back