Need advice on this mix

Humbucker

I'm currently working on an instrumental rock track and am now at the mixing stage. I'm struggling a little to get everything sounding 'together'. The bass and all the guitars were recorded direct in(a first for me). Bass was recorded straight into my DMP3 and all guitars were recorded straight into my Korg AX1500G, then into the DMP3. The main things I'm finding quite tough are creating space EQ-wise for the lead tracks and the arpeggio ones. I've tried to do minimal processing on them. Also, I'm not so sure about the bass guitar - I just don't think it sounds 'warm' enough, and even enough - I have a little compression on it via the Khaeurjus classic compressor though. Anyway, I would really appreciate some help and advice - this is I guess a pretty rough mix, but I've kinda took it as far as I can for now - I really need some other peoples opinions to tell me where I'm going wrong etc. Here's the link:-

http://s15.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=32DY7K49VB5A40TFB3C31HRSUN

Many thanks. :)

The only thing to add is kick needs to be brought out a bit. Otherwise, nice jamming. All of the levels seem to be good.

Writing while listening...if you have the drums phased...don't. That may be what's washing out the kick.

David Katauskas said:
The only thing to add is kick needs to be brought out a bit. Otherwise, nice jamming. All of the levels seem to be good.

Writing while listening...if you have the drums phased...don't. That may be what's washing out the kick.

Many thanks for listening David :) Of all the things I worried about, it never occurred to me that there was anything wrong with the kick - I think I was probably too focused on the guitars and bass hehe. The only effect I have on the drums is a small amount of reverb. I'll definetely take a listen to it though, to see if I can improve it. Thanks again. :)

The main problem I have with it at the moment is the lack of punchiness in terms of the bass - I'm kinda struggling with that. I'm also not so sure about the drums :confused:

Anyone else wanna take a listen? I'm gonna start working on the mix again soon and would really appreciate a couple more viewpoints if possible. :)

listening on pc speakers, so not too loud.
needs vocals. guitar lead may need to be louder,
but you can't tell without the vocals.
also might be squashed a lot?
get some vocals on it and repost.
sounds ok though.
C.

chugheshc said:
listening on pc speakers, so not too loud.
needs vocals. guitar lead may need to be louder,
but you can't tell without the vocals.
also might be squashed a lot?
get some vocals on it and repost.
sounds ok though.
C.

Thanks for listening :) Nah, I'm not gonna bother with vocals as the main aim of this one was to get me back in the saddle playing and recording-wise. I literally haven't completed anything for the best part of 2 years. It's quite different to the normal stuff I do too - this is just a straight-ahead 'jammy' kinda thing to get my playing and recording chops going again. The only compression I have is on the bass - I haven't done anything to the main mix yet. Maybe the bass sounds a little squashed? Thanks again for listening. :)

Pleeeeeaase can I have some more thoughts/opinions? :) I'm still kinda a bit stumped with this mix and need some help.

Back