Need advice on these...

Cooperman

It's been a while since I've posted anything in the mixing clinic but here we go...

I'm in the midst of forming a band and while we're trying to complete the lineup we've been recording some tunes. You can find them at:

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/314/scourgeaust.html

The two songs were recorded a few months ago but we're looking to record some more stuff over Christmas/New Year so I need some advice as to where we can improve things.

I have a limited recording set up. The tracks were recorded as follows.

Vocals: NT1 -> ART Tube MP -> computer
Guitars: Mic'd my Crate combo with a 57, thru the Art Pre to the computer
Bass: DI'd thru the ART Pre
Drums Fruity Loops

I was renting a bass and playing it myself on these tracks but we've recently recruited a bass player so we should be able to get a better bass sound with his rig. We're still looking for a drummer so the canned drums will have to stay I'm afraid.

Thanks for your comments.

Hey Cooperman, great to hear some stuff from you. Been awhile.

I listened to 'Deceive'.

Great drum programming!

I can't hear any bass, is there one?

The song is fast, energetic for sure.

I find the guitars a bit grating sounding, too much mid range or something. Not really a style of music I'm familiar with though, so maybe that's the way it should be. It might be the fake cymbals that are hitting me with the high end.

Like the short solo ala satriani, wicked!

The end solo is excellent as well.

Great job Coop....

forget drummers....Fruity Loops will actually show up for rehearsal (and sober)......

great songs....i still have your first instrumental only post of Legend...maybe I can bootleg it when you become famous:D

the mix does seem to be lacking some low end, overemphasizing the midrange of the guitar and burying the bass , though the guitars are where they should be......the bass seems to be hanging out around 300hz, and i usually like to have it between 150-200hz.....

the only disturbing thing in all this is that the chick somewhat resembles Dave Mustaine (the hair)...are ya poking her?.....

anywho, good songs, great playing......glad to see ya around....

Great to see you posting Coop!

Downloaded both tunes - I echo what the others have said about the low end, the bass guitar in particular. Could stand a little EQ work, I think. Overall though, a great job. Excellent drum programing - I'm sure a lot of time went into that alone.

Great guitar work & performance in general. Keep up the good work!

Legend
high energy. Thats great

Pretty balanced mix. I thought that the low end could be a bit louder and maybe punchiner, but it works in general. Very good guitar playing.

I like the raw atmosphere around the mix.

Back