Need Advice On Setting Up My PC Studio

idrisguitar

I am looking for home recording advice. for the last few years we have been using a boss br1180cd to record our instrumental songs,

we have come a long way and are also finding the machine to limit our ability to really expand our sound,

we want to experiment with different types of drums, electronics samples and sequences, and basically have a lot of pathways open to us when we record,

i am asking for advice on a home recording studio through a pc,

however i must warn you using the boss br1180 hasn;t taugt me much, for example i have never used a mixer (i dont really know what it properly does and how it works)

also i have all the instruments and the midi keyboard with the orchestral sound module, but how do i get all this stuff input into the pc?

and what software would i need to do the following.

1) totally customize my drum beats (as in i programm exactly what beats it plays) and have different types of drums like electronica and orchestral drums (as our music will range from oriental soundtrack type music to electronica background music like in CSI)

2) have a good piece of software where i coudl trakc the levels and everything form guitars to the keboard and bass etc. (basically the main recording software...(and if i did have a seperate proigram for the drums how would i combine them into the main recording program over the song,)

3) produce full again custom synth electronica sounds and effects. (and same with the durms how would i impliment them into the song being recorded onto the pc through the main recording software.)

im sorry if im going on and not making much sense but basically its very confsuing for me

but i feel its important for us to grow that we need a good studio that give u many options to experiment with.

the boss br1180 just isn;t that great.

i really hope you can give me some advice, i have tried looking at guides throuought the web but my knowledge is soooo small that its hard to follow, and i dont want to spend £1000+ on somethign i dont know exactly what im doing.

thanks a lot
Idris

i will be buying a new one, i say its gonna be around 3ghz, 512 ram,

so yeah it will be good,

btw i saw the other drums software topic, as i said i wanted a drum software with many types of drum sounds, i can sequence them well on the boss so i have no problem programing them, without drum pads for example,

Reasons 3 is a great program, Not real simple to learn but very powerfull when you do learn, Oh yeah its expensive, $400.00 or so.

Pretty much any commerical DAW software will do that. I run Cubase and it is a good choice if you have alot of midi equipment (I have a ton, I run 2 x Midex 8s which are full) since it has alot of support for outboard gear. Whatever you go with, you will need a real sound interface (which you can find all sorts of threads on). I run an older Tascam TMD-1000 and I would not trade it for anything. It gives me all the features of a "live" mixer where I can set the band up for a jam session or I can just switch modes and have it be a solid multi i/o recording interface for my comp. For a band or a rig with alot of hardware, its flexibilty cant be beat. A modern equivalent would be something like a mackie onyx with firewire upgrade.

With the DAW software, expect a lot of learning and there are plenty of tutorial DVDs and books that will get you started. I would also look for a sound interface that comes bundle with a variety of tryouts so you can evaluate several different packages

lol, im sorry to be so stupid, but i didn;t understand much of what you guys said :)

ill keep looking around the web for giudes and come back to your comments when i knwo a bit more

thanks a lot :D

Back