Need advice on recording drums

rockabilly1955

Do most people use the clip on drum mics? Do those pick up a lot of excess rattle sounds? Or should I just stick with boom stands and try to position the mics good? Thanks guys!

I've been told that for studio purposes clip on is not a good idea, not because of rattling but from vibrations passing through the drums into the mic becomes an issue much of the time.

Live work they're great.

I use clips in the 'studio' (my bedroom), and I don't have any problems. At least, not with the clips!

I've used both in the studio. I prefer stands for the flexability of placement (and isolation).

clips do pick up vibrations from the rims, at least mine do...after I figured that out, I haven't used them since.

i started using the sennheiser 604's last year - awesome mics and make setting up easy. no vibration problems. check em out.

man....i did a live gig where i hung 635 from all the amps, clipped the 604's on the drums, took a bass di feed and a split from the lead vocal. only used two stands: kick and overhead and even then it was pretty cramped. :eek:

laters.

Mike

Back