need advice on online mixing

willow

(excuse the double posting, but i didn't get much response on the other)

on another forum i have asked for help on a drum mix.. i got suspicious as to the amount of response i got.

i would only be sending the drum tracks, so i didn't really worry about it. the copyrights are in the u.s. and i would have a u.s. based studio do the work. (favor) but, after thinking about it and calling the copyright office, (they told me that they would be entitled to engineering sound rights) i am kind of worried now.

is there a problem with people trolling for music on these forums? if so, what do they do with the music? try to get rights?

isn't there some kind of "waiver" contracts that online studios use? if i had that, then i wouldn't have to worry right?

thanks

Relax Willow. Everything's gonna be allright. No one is going to steal your drum beats. I couldn't tell you about "engineering rights", but it seems to me that if you get credit for your part - the drums - then the engineer should get credit for his part - the engineering. No professional engineer would steal your drum beats and try claim them as his own. Notice I said PROFESSIONAL. Steer clear of people who want to do you favors for cheap or for free.

Are you trolling? :confused:

i'm not really worried about them stealing drum beats.

just don't want any legal red tape to deal with, if someone is supposedly doing a favor.

yes, i would only use a legit studio... i got a lot of responses!

am i trolling? yes, i guess... for advice

As I understand it - and I am NOT an entertainment lawyer, so take this only FWIW- if someone has "engineering sound rights", that does not give them legal carte blance to steal the record and use it for themselves. All it means is that they have rights to the work they did on YOUR recording. It's still your recording and they cannot use it themselves legally without your permission.

But what it does mean is that you cannot just go and steal their work either. Unless you can demonstrate an agreement or understanding that they were willing to help you out with no expectation of recompence or credit for the work they do, you can't just go and legally use it under those terms.

Best bet is that if you are creating a production with the intent to make money through it's existance in any way - this includes just using it as a demo for selling you talent to get another project - and yuo want to make 100% sure of avoiding potential future lawsuits, get an agreement in writing beforehand as to just what the terms are.

90% of the time on this level, all they would want is credit...until your single goes double platinum, that is ;).

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
am NOT an entertainment lawyer..........................................................................................................................................
90% of the time on this level, all they would want is credit...until your single goes double platinum, that is ;).

G.

Lest we not forget this is the world where George Harrison was sued for putting "hari christna" in my sweet lord!

( let the lawyer jokes begin) :p :p

masteringhouse said:
Actually I believe he was sued for ripping off the song "He's So Fine":

http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/mysweet.htm

BOTH! :(

why did california get all the lawyers and new jersey get all the toxic waste dumps?.......................................................................new jersey had first choice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( rim shot) don't forget to tip you servers and bartender, you've been a great audience !!!

flatfinger said:
BOTH! :(

why did california get all the lawyers and new jersey get all the toxic waste dumps?.......................................................................new jersey had first choice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( rim shot) don't forget to tip you servers and bartender, you've been a great audience !!!

Really? Didn't know that.

Who is this hairy Christina? Sounds like a real bitch. :)

Back