need advice on new computer

eichler

I am purchasing a new computer for Sonar 2 XL. Is there a company that specializes in configuring systems specifically for this application? Otherwise, does anyone know whether or not there is a benefit to running the software on a Xeon based workstation vs. a P4 platform?

I am more concerned about getting performance than I am about saving $.

Any and all comments would be welcome.

Xeons typicall have more cache than their P4 brethren. They're also capable of being used in multi-cpu configurations, while the P4 is not. The Xeon is a more capable processor, but it really isn't worth the cost. Unless you absolutely must have the fastest processor you can buy (2.8Ghz P4), an Athlon is gonna give you the best bang for the buck.

A Xeon workstation will probably not outperform a comparable Athlon system, and the Athlon system will cost MUCH less. P4s are fine too. You shouldn't run into performance problems with any chips over 1 Ghz. Memory, bus and hard drive speed play a role in performance as well, make sure to do your research in these areas too. :D

A Xeon chip is pretty overkill, unless you're doing some seriously heavy sound rendering on many many tracks that you need instantaneously. A 2.0GHz or more P4 with 512MB of DDR SDRAM (the average media system config) is more than enough to do multitrack recording and effectualizing.

Where you can really get some serious performance is hard disk speed. Make sure you get at least 7.2 kR/m drives, preferably 10kR/m, and if you can afford it, look at SCSI/RAID0 setups for added performance.

Back