Need advice on drum sets

Lun

I'm buying my first drum set and I would just like some opinions and general advice on what I should be looking for. I just want something that's not too pricy(under $600), but still sounds pretty good. I've been looking at some auctions on e-bay and it looks like I could get Ludwig Accent for about $450 or so. Is that any good? What other drum sets might be worth considering?

Every major brand name makes and entry level kit of decent quality. With good heads they don't even sound that bad. There is a slingerland kit that is endorsed by tre' cool of Green Day. It is pretty cheap and probably of decent quality. About time people ask questions concerning acoustic drums in this forum. I'd stick with a name brand entry level and yamaha's are always nice drums to me....

How about MAPEX? There's a beautiful set in walnut stain finish (maple/mahogony shells) on sale at MARS right now. Looks good, the salesman hit them and they sounded OK to me. My daughter is moving up from her CB perc. set which sound good and served her well for hte last 4 years. I've got about 1500 to spend on the set and new cases. SO I think we're looking for something around 1000 for the 5 pieces. It's between the MAPEX, Pearl export and Yomama Stage Custom (lower level set not the 1500).

Back